The Ministry of Health’s Māori Health Insights team has produced the Māori Health Trends Report, to inform the Wai 2575 Health Services and Outcomes Kaupapa Inquiry (Wai 2575).
This page contains the supporting data files from report and summary files that give an overview of the data in each section of the report.
Ngā tapuae me ngā raraunga: Data sources and methods
Information on numerators and denominators, ethnicity classification, age-standardised and crude rates, confidence intervals, and rate ratios. This information can be found on pages 2 to 4 of the Māori Health Trends Report.
Tatauranga taupori: Demographics
The summary below presents the proportion of the New Zealand population that is Māori, how the population is aged-structured, and give population projections for the future.
Ngā tauwehe tūpono me te marumaru: Risk and protective factors
This section presents data on individual risk and protective factors comprising tobacco smoking, alcohol and drug use, nutrition (vegetable and fruit servings), body size, physical activity and gambling.
- Tobacco smoking data (Excel, 144 KB)
- Alcohol and drug use data (Excel, 121 KB)
- Nutrition data (Excel, 116 KB)
- Adult body size data (Excel, 117 KB)
- Child body size data (Excel, 118 KB)
- Physical Activity data (Excel, 92 KB)
- Gambling data (Excel, 108 KB)
Ngā mana hauora tūtohu: Health status indicators
This section presents a range of indicators relating to health status, such as major causes of death, cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes and more.
Major Causes of Death
- Cancer Mortality Health indicators Male (Excel, 248 KB)
- Cancer Mortality Health indicators Female (Excel, 191 KB)
- Cancer Registration Health indicators Male (Excel, 226 KB)
- Cancer Registration Health indicators Female (Excel, 238 KB)
BreastScreen Aotearoa and National Cervical Screening Programmes
- BSA and NCSP (Excel, 94 KB)
- BSA Coverage by 5 year age group June 2003 – June 2017 (Excel, 306 KB)
- NCSP Coverage by 5 year age group June 2002 – June 2017 (Excel, 2.7 MB)
- Diagnosed Asthma (Excel, 92 KB)
- Respiratory Disease Mortality (Excel, 162 KB)
- Respiratory Disease Hospitalisations (Excel, 254 KB)
Health status– diabetes, arthritis, osteoporosis, chronic pain, dementia
- Diabetes (Excel, 113 KB)
- Diabetes Complications (Excel, 176 KB)
- Chronic Conditions (Excel, 115 KB)
- Dementia Mortality (Excel, 116 KB)
Suicide and intentional self-harm
- Suicide Mortality (Excel, 178 KB)
- Self-harm Hospitalisations (Excel, 194 KB)
- Interpersonal Violence (Excel, 191 KB)
- Adult Oral Health (Excel, 118 KB)
- Child Oral Health (Excel, 117 KB)
- COHS NM Oral Health (Excel, 106 KB)
Self-rated and mental health
Infant and child health
- Breastfeeding (Excel, 114 KB)
- Low Birthweight (Excel, 119 KB)
- Infant and neonatal Mortality (Excel, 192 KB)
- Child Mortality (Excel, 114 KB)
- Unintentional Injury Mortality (Excel, 169 KB)
- All Unintentional Injury Hospitalisation (Excel, 269 KB)
Ngā ratonga hauora kua mahia: Health service use
This section presents indicators that look at use of health services, with a focus on primary health care providers. It also includes indicators on prescriptions and unmet need for health care.
Ngā pūnaha hauora tūtohu: Health system indicators
This section presents measures of the performance of the health system, including publicly-funded hospital discharges, amenable mortality and ambulatory sensitive hospitalisation (ASH).
Ngā kaimahi hauora: Health workforce
This section presents the trends related to the health workforce data between 2004 and 2018.
Māori and non-Māori non-Pacific analysis
This section presents selected indicators compare Māori with non-Māori non-Pacific, which were requested by claimants.
Appendices covering Māori and non-Māori non-Pacific data analysis, ICD codes used in the report, 2001 Census total Māori population, overview of breast and cervical cancer screening programmes, diabetes coding change and supplementary tables for health workforce. This information can be found on pages 334 to 366 of the Māori Health Trends Report.
- What Māori and non-Māori non-Pacific analysis can be prepared for the Wai 2575 Health Services and Outcomes Inquiry
- ICD codes
- 2001 Census total Māori population
- Overview of Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Programmes
- Diabetes coding changes
- Health workforce supplementary tables