This section provides the latest updates, information and advice on COVID-19.
New Zealand has 868 confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19. For a summary of the current status see our latest media release (3 April). More information is available on our current cases page. With continued vigilance the chance of widespread community outbreak is expected to remain low.
New Zealand is currently at Alert Level 4 – Eliminate
These alert levels specify the public health and social measures to be taken. Nationwide, New Zealand is currently at Level 4 – Eliminate. This means that it is likely that the disease is not contained. See more information about Alert levels.
Find out how to look after your mental health and wellbeing during Alert Level 4.
Health and care workers – expressions of interest for COVID-19 response
We are seeking expressions of interest from health and care professionals who are able and willing to work for a limited amount of time as part of the national strategic approach to managing COVID-19. Find out more
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Our advice is under active review and is updated regularly. The latest updates include the following changes to the website:
- Managing patients and reporting using Telehealth and online tools – includes information sharing advice for health professionals
- Updated information on wellbeing at Alert Level 4
- Information for providers of housing support
- COVID-19 modelling reports
- Information for pregnant women & new mothers
- New guidance on funerals and tangihanga
- Updated advice for health professionals
- PPE used by community-based midwives for prevention of COVID-19
- Updated information for disability and aged care providers on Alert Level 4
- New information for funeral directors on management of deaths due to COVID-19
- Current cases, full details and cluster information updated
- Self-isolation for close contacts and travellers updated
- PPE for essential workers resources updated
- Advice for travellers updated
- Advice for aged care providers has moved
- Updated close contact definition
- Guidance on use of personal protective equipment
- Updated face mask and hygiene advice
- Updated self-isolation or low-level quarantine requirements
- Updated current case details
- Updated essential services in the health and disability system with list of hospital services
- Increasing the health workforce capacity – we are seeking expressions of interest from health and care professionals