Codes of Practice

Codes of practice issued by the Director for Radiation Safety under the Radiation Safety Act 2016 (section 86) provide operational requirements to comply with the fundamental requirements (section 9 to 12) in the Radiation Safety Act 2016.

The Radiation Safety Act 2016 (the Act) sets out high-level radiation safety requirements in sections 9 to 12. Radiation practices vary widely and lead to very different radiation safety risks.  The regulatory requirements to address all of these risks are far too extensive to be included in the Act.  Parliament, therefore, authorised the issuing of individual codes of practice to set out these detailed regulatory requirements.

A code of practice issued under the Act is a disallowable instrument for the purposes of the Legislation Act 2012. In practice, this means that anyone who is subject to Section 8 Duty to comply with fundamental requirements must comply with all provisions set in the relevant codes of practice listed in this page, regardless of whether the person requires authorisation as per Section 13 Activities that require authorisation under the Act.

The following codes of practice (ORS CoPs) issued under the Radiation Safety Act 2016 supersede the codes of safe practice (CSPs) issued under the Radiation Protection Act 1965 as of the date that each ORS CoP came into force.

Codes of practice for medical purposes

Codes of practice for Security and Transport

Codes of practice for non-medical purposes

Sign-up for notifications

Please email to [email protected] if you wish to be on our stakeholder list to receive future notifications on our publications.

Back to top