The Ministry administers a number of laws made by Parliament, and also has roles defined in other legislation.
The Ministry administers the following Acts of Parliament:
- Burial and Cremation Act 1964
- Cancer Registry Act 1993
- Care and Support Workers (Pay Equity) Settlement Act 2017
- Disabled Persons Community Welfare Act 1975 (Part 2A)
- Epidemic Preparedness Act 2006
- Health Act 1956
- Health and Disability Commissioner Act 1994
- Health and Disability Services (Safety) Act 2001
- Health Benefits (Reciprocity with Australia) Act 1999
- Health Benefits (Reciprocity with the United Kingdom) Act 1982
- Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003
- Health Research Council Act 1990
- Health Sector (Transfers) Act 1993
- Home and Community Support (Payment for Travel Between Clients) Settlement Act 2016
- Human Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2004 (in conjunction with the Ministry of Justice)
- Human Tissue Act 2008
- Intellectual Disability (Compulsory Care and Rehabilitation) Act 2003
- Medicines Act 1981
- Mental Health (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Act 1992
- Misuse of Drugs Act 1975
- New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000
- New Zealand Public Health and Disability (Southern DHB) Elections Act 2016
- Psychoactive Substances Act 2013
- Radiation Safety Act 2016
- Residential Care and Disability Support Services Act 2018
- Smoke-free Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990
- Social Security (Long-term Residential Care) Amendment Act 2006
- Substance Addiction (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Act 2017.
You can find full, searchable copies of this legislation and the associated regulations we administer at New Zealand Legislation.
Other regulatory roles and obligations
In addition to administering legislation, key personnel within the Ministry have specific statutory powers and functions under various pieces of legislation (eg, the Directors of Public Health and Mental Health).
The Ministry also has certain statutory roles and relationships defined in other legislation, including:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Civil Defence and Emergency Management Act 2002
- Education Act 1989
- Food Act 2014
- Gambling Act 2003
- Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996
- Human Assisted Reproductive Technology Act 2004
- Local Government Act 2002
- Maritime Security Act 2004
- Prostitution Reform Act 2003
- Sale and Supply of Liquor Act 2012
- Social Security Act 1964
- Victim Rights Act 2002
- Waste Minimisation Act 2008.
The Ministry also helps the Government comply with certain international obligations. It achieves this by supporting and participating in international organisations such as the World Health Organization.