The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Act 2020 came into force on 11 November 2020. This means that vaping products, in addition to tobacco products and herbal smoking products, are now regulated under the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990 (the Act).
The amended Act has regulation-making powers to bring the new provisions of the Act into effect. The Ministry of Health publicly consulted on a range of regulatory proposals to support these new provisions, including:
- defining an internal area
- specialist vape retailer approvals
- promotion, information and advice
- product notification and safety
- annual reporting and returns
This report summarises the submissions the Ministry received as part of the public consultation process.