Pūrongo mō tēnei wā
The Health and Disability System Review is charged with taking a system-wide approach to what needs to change to ensure our future system achieves better and more equitable health and wellbeing outcomes for all New Zealanders.
Overall our system is good, with outcomes and spending in line with OECD countries, and a dedicated staff who work hard to provide best care for patients. However, the system is under pressure and despite progress, outcomes are not equitable across populations and life course, particularly for Māori, Pacific peoples, disabled people, and people experiencing poverty. Rural New Zealanders also look for sustainable and equitable access to health and disability services.
The interim report aims to achieve three things:
- reflect back the issues that people and organisations have told us are hampering the achievement of better outcomes
- check whether available evidence supports what we have heard
- signal our initial thoughts on where the Panel believes the biggest gains can be made to improve the performance of the system.
The report does not provide specific change recommendations but it does indicate the direction of travel that the Panel believes is necessary in key areas, and points to questions which still need to be answered to arrive at final recommendations by March 2020.
Phase Two of the review will now focus on developing recommendations for the key changes that can best move the system towards more sustainable and fairer performance.
In addition to the main report, also available is a series of appendices to the main report, a summary of submissions we received (both through our online portal and email), and a final report from the Review wānanga.
With thanks to the Expert Panel for their expertise and commitment during Phase One. Also acknowledgement of the work from the Review’s Māori Expert Advisory Group led by Sharon Shea.
- Interim report / Pūrongo mō tēnei wā (PDF, 7.3 MB)
Main report by section
- Section A: Overview and context / Tirohanga whānui me te horopaki (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Section B: Settings / Ngā whakaritenga o te pūnaha (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Section C: Services / Ngā Ratonga (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Section D: Enablers / Ngā rawa e tika ai te pūnaha (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Section E: Moving forward / Te haerenga whakamua (PDF, 216 KB)
- Section F: Notes / Kupu āpiti (PDF, 523 KB)
- Appendices / Ngā tāpiritanga (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Summary of Submissions (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Final Report from the Wānanga (PDF, 711 KB)
- Pacific Report (PDF, 3.5 MB)
Sign language videos
Videos in New Zealand Sign Language related to the health and disability system review interim report are available via the link below.