Dr John Crawshaw, Director of Mental Health and Addiction
Ron Dunham, Lakes DHB CE
Fixing our mental health services is a priority for the Government.
The Ministry of Health’s mental health programme:
1. Supporting the Government Inquiry into Mental Health and Addiction including:
- Provision of information including existing data, evidence and analysis
- Preparing the Ministry of Health submission which will include historical context, current challenges, funding, governance and accountability, workforce, service design and delivery and potential options for the future approach to mental health and addiction
- Advice and response to the Inquiry findings
2. Advises on and implements new Government priorities while maintaining business as usual including:
- Mana Akē (mental health support for Canterbury and Kaikōura schools) which is a holistic mental health programme to support primary and intermediate school children to access appropriate mental health support when needed.
- Pilot of Tu Kotahi (a school-wide early intervention programme) in four secondary schools
- Pilot of integrated therapies (free counselling and therapy service) for 18-25 year olds
- Pay Equity implementation
3. Establishing governance arrangements for the mental health and addiction work programme including cross-agency leadership as well as setting up a Health Sector Leadership Group.