The Ministry is proud to offer a wide variety of benefits and opportunities to our people, including:
- Flexible working
- Diversity, accessibility and inclusion
- Learning and development
- Internal networks
- Staff schemes and discounts
This Ministry supports a balance between the requirements of work, personal and family/whānau commitments, as well as enabling you to undertake volunteer activities outside work.
You and your manager can discuss and agree on a way of working that takes into account your personal commitments and the business needs of the Ministry, for example:
- working remotely
- working reduced hours
- working compressed hours
- job sharing
- using flexi-time.
We want to build an inclusive workplace that reflects our society with its diverse points of view. This means:
- we are committed to accessibility and follow the principles of the Accessibility Tick Programme
- we use selection and appointment processes to ensure the person who can best demonstrate competence for the job is the person appointed
- you will have equitable terms of employment, opportunities for development, training and promotion
- all our people are treated fairly and inclusively, regardless of individual differences such as disability, race, ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ethical or religious beliefs or family responsibilities
- we will not tolerate harassment of any type in the workplace
- we integrate diversity and inclusion principles and practices into management and Health and wellbeing
We want to ensure your safety and wellbeing at work and support you to be successful in your role.
- Good workplace health and safety standards – the Ministry has tertiary level grading for the the ACC Partnership Programme.
- Influenza vaccinations – vaccinations are offered annually to all employees.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – a free, confidential counselling service available to all employees and their immediate families to help deal with issues affecting work or personal life.
- Vision care – the Ministry contributes towards the cost of eye examinations and glasses or contact lenses to help people work to the best of their ability
The Ministry’s Wellbeing Roadmap is all about investing in he tāngata our people. We support a range of awareness weeks and activities including:
- Aotearoa Bike Challenge
- Pink Shirt Day
- Matariki Week
- Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori
- Mental Health Awareness Week
- White Ribbon Day.
We aim to make joining the Ministry easy so you are set you up to be successful in your new role. You will receive an induction journal, which sets out your plan for the first three months. Your manager, buddy and team will support you, answer any tricky questions and keep you heading in the right direction.
We are committed to building leadership capability at all levels, from emerging leaders through to executive level. At the Ministry, there is a wide range of ways to develop.
- Study assistance: All permanent employees are eligible to receive assistance from the Ministry towards a qualification that will add value to their role.
- E-learning: We offer a range of modules, from compliance training and management toolkits to leadership development programmes and Te Reo Māori classes.
- Internal leadership development: The Ministry already provides a range of leadership training programmes and coaching opportunities, and plans to expand the offerings over the next two years.
- Technical training: Each directorate has a training budget, which permanent employees can use to develop their skills.
We want all our employees to feel confident in delivering the Ministry’s vision and drive a positive, high performance work environment.
We have a friendly and open working environment. Our internal networks include:
- Health Women’s Network – regular events ranging from inspiring speakers to speed mentoring
- ASPIRE – a forum targeted at the Ministry’s administrative staff
- Emerging Health Tech Group
- Project Management Network
- Health Advisor and Analysts Network
- Karakia and waiata practice – held every Monday and Friday.
We have a range of staff benefits and discounts available including discounted prices with eight providers through the CSC Buying Group and personal and health insurance options.