Medicinal Cannabis Agency - Research

You must hold a licence with a ‘research’ activity if you intend to supply or administer a medicinal cannabis product that is not a CBD product to a person who is a research subject in a clinical trial.

You will also need approval under section 30 of the Medicines Act 1981 to conduct clinical trials on humans, and you may not supply or administer medicinal cannabis products to a person who has a medical condition but is not a research subject.

You may also import starting material, cannabis-based ingredients or medicinal cannabis products under the ‘research’ activity, provided these form part of your clinical trial. You will also need to apply for a licence to import a controlled drug for each consignment.

Note that products intended to be administered to humans in a clinical trial must be manufactured to Good Manufacturing Practice in a facility that is licensed to manufacture medicines.

Back to top