The Ministry of Health’s Office of Radiation Safety administers the Radiation Safety Act 2016 and the Radiation Safety Regulations 2016 on behalf of the New Zealand Government. This legislation controls all dealings with ionising radiation.
Note: the Office does not send out reminders for renewals. It is the responsibility of the organisation and the licensee to hold current licences.,
Visit Non-ionising radiation for radiofrequency enquiries.
Codes of Practice
- ORS C6: Safe Transport of Radioactive Materials: The consultation period has closed on Friday 1 March 2019. Submissions have been reviewed and the code is scheduled to be published this month. Thank you for your time and your valuable submissions.
- The Director is currently consulting on ORS C7: Code of Practice for Industrial Radiography. Please visit the code to have your say. The closing date for submissions is 12.00 pm, Friday 29 March 2019.
- ORS C2: Code of Practice for Nuclear Medicine: This code is nearing completion and is scheduled to be published this month.
For further updates and news on the codes, please visit Codes of practice.
Twitter: Follow us on Twitter @minhealthnz.
Director for Radiation Safety
The legislation requires the following:
- owners of radiation sources must hold a source licence authorising them to manage and control those sources
- owners must also register controlled radiation sources with the Office of Radiation Safety
- users of radiation sources must hold a use licence unless their use is otherwise authorised by the Act or regulations
- importers and exporters of radioactive material must obtain a consent.
Radiation Safety Advisory Council
The Radiation Safety Advisory Council is a Ministerial-appointed Council established under the Radiation Safety Act 2016. This Council is responsible for providing advice to the Minister of Health and Director for Radiation Safety on matters relating to or affecting radiation safety, and standards relating to radiation safety. Applications for the Radiation Safety Advisory Council (Policy and Advisory) positions have been received and are under review.