Section 31 of the Radiation Safety Act 2016 requires that all controlled radiation sources must be registered with the Director before they can be dealt with.
What radiation sources include
Controlled radiation sources are (section 30(2)):
- any irradiating apparatus
- any sealed radioactive material
- any nuclear material (whether sealed or unsealed)
- any unsealed radioactive material if specified in the Regulations.
Who is required to register a source?
Section 31 of the Radiation Safety Act requires a person who has management or control of a controlled radiation source to register sources before dealing with the source and also notify any change in the location, possession, disposal or removal of sources.
Register a source
To register your sources, please fill out the following registration form and email to [email protected].
- Registering irradiating apparatus in New Zealand (PDF, 176 KB)
- Registering a sealed radiation source in New Zealand (PDF, 168 KB)
To notify the Office of Radiation Safety of any change in the location, possession, disposal or removal of sources, please fill out the following change notification form and email to [email protected].
- Change notification after registration of irradiating apparatus (PDF, 116 KB)
- Change notification after registration of sealed sources (PDF, 168 KB)
There is no fee to register radiation sources.