The Ministry of Health has been the key agency for policy development in the tobacco control area and is involved in a large number of policy, service development and operational aspects of tobacco control Read more.
In March 2011 the Government adopted the Smokefree 2025 goal for New Zealand.
The Ministry of Health has taken a new approach to address Māori smoking rates, particularly by seeking deeper understanding of why young Māori women smoke.
Smokefree legislation applies to schools, early childhood centres, retailers, licensed premises, sports clubs and all employers Read more.
- Smokefree infringement notices
- Smokefree internal and open areas
- Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990
- Smokefree complaints
Annual tobacco returns must be filed by tobacco manufacturers and importers under the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990.
The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) was developed in response to the globalised tobacco epidemic.
- Read more about the FCTC
- View the illicit trade protocol
- Meetings with tobacco industry representatives
- 29 Nov 2021: The Ministry of Health is excited to reach another key milestone in its preventing youth from vaping health promotion programme health promotion programme with the appointment of its supplier Curative.
An All-of-Government supplier, Curative was selected through a contestable process in recognition of its strong track-record delivering programmes co-designed with the young people whose behaviour they are seeking to change. Curative will work closely with the Ministry of Health and other key experts in the tobacco control space to develop the health promotion programme.
- 10 September 2021: The New Zealand Guidelines for helping people to stop smoking
- 1 Sept 2021: Preventing youth from vaping health promotion programme. A new health promotion programme from the Ministry of Health, expected to be underway in March 2022, will be aimed at rangatahi and focused on supporting youth to make the decision not to vape.
- The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990 (SERPA) regulations have been released. There is also an update on Internal Areas.
- 1 June 2021: Public consultation on the Smokefree 2025 Action Plan has now closed. The submissions are being analysed and the final Action Plan will be published in due course.
- 7 April 2021: Insights into young Māori women who smoke