The Ministry of Health has been the key agency for policy development in the tobacco control area and is involved in a large number of policy, service development and operational aspects of tobacco control Read more.
In March 2011 the Government adopted the Smokefree 2025 goal for New Zealand. This was in response to the recommendations of a landmark Parliamentary inquiry by the Māori Affairs select committee. Read more
To reduce the smoking rates for New Zealanders our approach has been based on international best practices. While these approaches have had a significant effect for most groups, the smoking rates for Māori remain relatively high. Read more
This pages summaries the regulatory changes that took effect from 14 March 2018 and links to relevant documents Read more.
Vaping products are electrical devices that produce a vapour by heating a solution (e-liquid). Smokeless tobacco are a diverse group of products that are promoted as being potentially less harmful alternatives to tobacco smoking Read more.
Smokefree legislation applies to schools, early childhood centres, retailers, licensed premises, sports clubs and all employers Read more.
- Infringement notices
- Internal and open areas
- Smoke-free Environments Act 1990
- Smoke-free Environments Amendment Act 2003
Annual tobacco returns filed by manufacturers and importers pursuant to section 35 of the Smoke-free Environments Act 1990 which provides guidance on the form for returns and reports Read more.
The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) was developed in response to the globalised tobacco epidemic Read more.
- 18 October 2019: Ka Pū te Ruha, ka Hao te Rangatahi - Good practice guidance for stop smoking services
- 22 August 2019: Letter from the Director-General on New Zealand’s international obligations regarding tobacco control
- 9 July 2019: Cabinet documents: Progress on Achieving Smokefree 2025
- 11 June 2019: Business case: Public education campaign - Vaping. This business case provides the rationale for the procurement of a vaping information campaign which is being delivered by the Health Promotion Agency.
- 9 June 2019: Vaping Facts website launched to provide clear and credible information about vaping as a way to stop smoking.