Find out about the legislation relating to mental health and addictions.
Mental health and addiction
We’re working to transform New Zealand’s mental health and addiction system.
Mental Health & Addiction nursing recruitment
The Ministry of Health, in partnership with VMLY&R, has developed a campaign to improve mental health, addiction and wellbeing outcomes by increasing the capacity of the nursing workforce.
The campaign ‘Are You Ready’ aims to:
- encourage nursing graduates to choose mental health and addiction as a preferred practice area and as a professional career;
- attract former nurses back into the profession; and
- increase the number of Māori and Pacific peoples working in this area.
The campaign will run for 2 years and is part of a comprehensive mental health and addiction workforce development programme funded through the 2019 Wellbeing Budget.
Find out more: Nursing recruitment
Updates & announcements
- 28 April 2023: New guidance for mental health and addiction system and services
- 14 April 2023: Guidelines for reducing and eliminating seclusion and restraint under the Mental Health (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Act 1992
- 5 April 2023: Mental health and wellbeing needs of children and young people involved with Oranga Tamariki
- 6 March 2023: Work to transform the approach to wellbeing in Aotearoa
- 30 January 2023: New Mental Health Act Guidelines e-learning and information resources launched
- 22 December 2022: From the Lived Experience and Clinical Advisory Ropu in the Mental Health and Addictions group at Manatū Hauora
- 2 November 2022: Govt delivers more wellbeing support to university students
- 26 October 2022: Govt delivers boost for Rainbow wellbeing initiatives
- 30 September 2022: Milestone of half a million mental health sessions delivered
- 1 September 2022: Govt expands Mana Ake to West Coast kids
- 18 August 2022: More funds and internships for clinical psychology
- See earlier updates
Oranga Hinengaro System and Service Framework
Mental health and wellbeing year in review (December 2021)
Mental Health Quarter Three (Jan-Mar 2021) Progress Update
This document outlines the third quarter (January to March 2021) progress made by the Ministry of Health on implementing He Ara Oranga.