Find out about the legislation relating to mental health and addictions.
Mental health and addiction
Mental Health & Addiction nursing recruitment
The Ministry of Health, in partnership with VMLY&R, has developed a campaign to improve mental health, addiction and wellbeing outcomes by increasing the capacity of the nursing workforce.
The campaign ‘Are You Ready’ aims to:
- encourage nursing graduates to choose mental health and addiction as a preferred practice area and as a professional career;
- attract former nurses back into the profession; and
- increase the number of Māori and Pacific peoples working in this area.
The campaign will run for 2 years and is part of a comprehensive mental health and addiction workforce development programme funded through the 2019 Wellbeing Budget.
Find out more: Nursing recruitment
Updates & announcements
- 23 March 2022 - All Sorts campaign to promote mental wellbeing begins
- 1 December 2021 - A message from Phil Grady, Acting Deputy Director-General, Mental Health and Addiction
- 29 November 2021 - Suicide prevention initiatives making a difference
- 28 October 2021 - Mental Health Act Amendment Bill passes third reading
- 23 October 2021 - Festival drug-checking services get a boost
- See earlier updates
This document outlines the third quarter (January to March 2021) progress made by the Ministry of Health on implementing He Ara Oranga.
A framework for actions to support the mental wellbeing of New Zealanders as we respond to the impacts of COVID-19.