Every Life Matters outlines a clear vision and specific actions for preventing suicide in New Zealand.
Every Life Matters - He Tapu te Oranga o ia Tangata: Suicide Prevention Strategy 2019–2029 and Suicide Prevention Action Plan 2019–2024 for Aotearoa New Zealand reorganises and focuses efforts to reduce suicide in New Zealand.
Every Life Matters has two main parts:
- Suicide Prevention Strategy 2019–2029 outlines the framework and strategic direction for how we can work together in a coordinated way to achieve the vision.
- Suicide Prevention Action Plan 2019–2024 identifies specific actions that will be undertaken to help achieve the vision, prevent suicide and support people affected by suicide in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Vision and outcomes
We believe that every life matters and, by working together, we can achieve a future where there is no suicide in Aotearoa New Zealand.
For individuals experiencing suicide distress, the spirit of this vision is summarised in the whakataukī (proverb) gifted to Every Life Matters:
Tirohia te pae whānui, tuātu i te pō. Tūramarama ki te ora, whakamauā kia tīnā!
See the broad horizon (beyond the darkness), hold on to life!
Delivering on this vision will reflect the achievement of two key outcomes – reducing suicide rates and achieving wellbeing for all.
Building a strong system
Every Life Matters focuses on building a solid platform for suicide prevention efforts around the country. The collective effort called for in Every Life Matters requires national leadership. One key action is establishing a Suicide Prevention Office to lead, champion and coordinate the implementation of Every Life Matters.
Other key action areas include using evidence to make a difference, developing the workforce, and evaluation and monitoring.
Supporting wellbeing and responding to people’s needs
Every Life Matters includes key actions across the suicide prevention continuum that increase protective factors and reduce risk factors for suicide:
- Promotion: promoting wellbeing
- Prevention: responding to suicide distress
- Intervention: responding to suicidal behaviour
- Postvention: supporting people after a suicide.
Everyone has a role in preventing suicide. The following values and shared ways of working underpin all aspects of Every Life Matters:
- Mahi tahi – working together
- Hautūtanga Māori – Māori leadership
- Poipoi wairua – trauma-informed responses
- Mauri ora – healthy individuals
- Whānau ora – whānau, family and community-centred
- Wai ora – healthy environments
- Rangatiratanga – people-powered
- Whakamana tāngata – treating people with dignity.