This publication outlines the activities that delivered on behalf of the Ministry of Health during the 2010/11 financial year to implement the:
- Clinical Guidelines for Weight Management in New Zealand Adults
- Clinical Guidelines for Weight Management in New Zealand Children and Young People.
All activities included in this document are being developed to support frontline health care workers in the primary care and community health sector who provide healthy weight management advice and treatment to patients/consumers. This includes:
- general practitioners
- practice nurses
- community health workers
- Māori community health workers
- Pacific community health workers
- other allied health care workers.
Update on pharmacotherapies (weight-loss drugs)
A ministerial advisory committee has recommended that the consent to distribute the weight-loss drug sibutramine in New Zealand is revoked after its own review confirmed the risks outweigh the benefits of using the prescription medicine.
More information about sibutramine and its withdrawal can be found on the Medsafe website.