This section provides the latest updates, information and advice on COVID-19.
New Zealand has 1,160 confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19. For a summary of the current status see our latest media release (7 April). More information is available on our current cases page. With continued vigilance the chance of widespread community outbreak is expected to remain low.
New Zealand is currently at Alert Level 4 – Eliminate
These alert levels specify the public health and social measures to be taken. Nationwide, New Zealand is currently at Level 4 – Eliminate. This means that it is likely that the disease is not contained. See more information about Alert levels.
Find out how to look after your mental health and wellbeing during Alert Level 4.
Contact tracing phone calls
If you have been identified as a close contact of someone with COVID-19, you can expect to be contacted by the Ministry of Health and Healthline.
It is important to answer your phone, so the Ministry and Healthline can get in touch with you during this time. You can find out more about the process and how to recognise a call from the Ministry or Healthline on the Contact tracing page.
Health and care workers – expressions of interest for COVID-19 response
We are seeking expressions of interest from health and care professionals who are able and willing to work for a limited amount of time as part of the national strategic approach to managing COVID-19. Find out more
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Our advice is under active review and is updated regularly. The latest updates include the following changes to the website:
- Guidelines for the use of personal protective equipment for frontline health care workers
- Information on contact tracing phone calls
- Updated questions and answers with information on accessing health care outside your local area
- Updated transmission of COVID-19 and the role of face masks in health settings
- Updated questions and answers for primary health care workers
- Updated primary care quick reference guide
- Information on cremations and exemptions from viewing a body
- Updated information for disabled people and their family and whānau
- Questions and answers for resident family carer payments
- Updated case definition
- Information for radiologists on community-based maternity ultrasounds
- Alert level 4 for disabled people and Guidance for people on Individualised Funding factsheets
- COVID-19 impact on Funded Family Care payments
- New rules for electronic prescriptions to support virtual care in the community