Guide to eligibility for publicly funded health and disability services.
People aged 17 years or younger are eligible for publicly funded health services if they are in the care and control of a: parent, or legal guardian, or person in the process of legally adopting them or becoming their legal guardian, who is eligible as a:
- a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident (B2 and B3)
- an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident living or planning to live in New Zealand for two years or more (B6, B7)
- an interim visa holder (B4)
- an work visa holder (B5)
- refugee, protected person or victim of people trafficking (B10, B11, B12),
- a New Zealand Aid Programme student (B13) OR
- is in the care and control of the Chief Executive of Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children.
Criteria: B16, Health and Disability Services Eligibility Direction 2011.
Note: Refer to the clauses above for the conditions of the relevant criteria for parents/guardians.
Proof of eligibility:
You will need to show your health service provider:
- proof that you are in the care and control of a parent, or guardian, or person who is in the process of legally adopting you or becoming your legal guardian, AND
- proof that your parent or guardian or adopting parent is an eligible person AND
- your passport AND proof of relationship to your parent or guardian or adopting parent OR
- your birth certificate (to prove your age and relationship to your parent) AND supporting identity documentation to show that you are the person on that birth certificate OR
- your birth certificate (to prove your age) and proof of guardianship or that adoption is in process AND supporting identity documentation to show that you are the person on that birth certificate.
Examples of identity documentation include:
- a driver licence
- a school/tertiary ID card
- an employment contract, a rental agreement, or
- letters addressed to you at your current address.
Note: Except for maternity services, partners of people eligible for publicly funded health and disability services must themselves meet the eligibility criteria.