Privacy complaints

Health and disability services need to keep your personal information safe.

Making a complaint

If your privacy has been breached – like if someone has looked at your health information who shouldn’t have – you can make a complaint.

First, you should talk to the health or disability service about your complaint. They may be able to put things right.

If you’re still not happy afterwards, you can complain to the Privacy Commissioner. They can investigate for you.

Privacy Act and Code

Your personal and health information is protected by the Privacy Act and the Health Information Privacy Code. These set out the rules that services must follow when they collect, use, store or disclose your health information.

You can find out more from the Privacy Commissioner website.

Back to top