Complaints about a health and disability service

If you’re not happy about a health and disability service, you can make a complaint.

All health and disability services have processes for dealing with complaints.

Making a complaint

First, talk to the person you received the service from (or the person in charge). They may be able to sort out the problem for you. You can make a complaint in person, by telephone or in writing. It’s up to you.

If you’re still not happy afterwards, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Health and Disability Commissioner. They can investigate. Call them free on 0800 11 22 33.

Complaints about costs

If you have a complaint about costs (like if you’ve been charged for a service you didn’t agree to), you can seek legal advice or go to the Disputes Tribunal.

Help making a complaint

It’s OK to have a family member or friend help you make a complaint.

You can also get help from a free health and disability advocate. Visit the Health and Disability Advocacy website to find out more.

Report fraud or dishonesty

If you suspect fraud or dishonesty – or are just concerned something doesn’t seem right – you can report it to the Health Integrity Line, any time, on 0800 424 888. It’s anonymous and free.

Back to top