The COVID-19 Māori Vaccine and Immunisation Plan (the plan) builds on the Updated COVID-19 Māori Health Response Plan implemented in 2020. In particular, the plan outlines key initiatives that will be undertaken to ensure the COVID-19 Vaccine and Immunisation Programme addresses its obligations under Te Tiriti o Waitangi and supports Māori health and equity. Appendix One provides an overview of the COVID-19 Māori Vaccine and Immunisation approach.
The Ministry is committed to fulfilling its obligations under Te Tiriti o Waitangi as part of the COVID-19 Maori health response, including through the delivery of the Programme. This document outlines key initiatives incorporated across the Programme that ensures Te Tiriti o Waitangi and Māori health equity remain at the centre of the vaccination roll-out. These initiatives include:
- governance and partnership
- targeted vaccination approach
- Māori health and disability provider support
- workforce development
- tailored communications.
The Programme will help to manage the impact of COVID-19 on whānau, hapū, iwi and hapori Māori. This is because it helps us to:
- actively protect people from the potential harm of contracting COVID-19
- potentially reduce the risk of transmission in the community
- support the health and disability system’s readiness and resilience if there is an outbreak, both by vaccinating certain health workers early and by vaccinating the groups most at risk of severe illness if they contract COVID-19.
This document is supplementary to the Updated COVID-19 Māori Health Response Plan. Both documents will be updated as necessary to reflect any changes to the Government’s broader approach to COVID-19 response.