Every medicinal cannabis licence holder (or ‘responsible person’, if the licence holder is a body corporate or partnership) must handle any cannabis, cannabis-based ingredients and any medicinal cannabis products in their possession or control in a way that meets the following requirements.
Every medicinal cannabis licence holder (or ‘responsible person’, if the licence holder is a body corporate or partnership) must handle any cannabis, cannabis-based ingredients and any medicinal cannabis products in their possession or control in a way that:
- effectively guards against the risk of misuse for unlawful purposes
- protects from access by unauthorised individuals and any animals.
All locations specified in the licence must have adequate security arrangements. Any changes that would affect a location’s security arrangements must be notified and have the prior approval of the Medicinal Cannabis Agency.
In addition, cultivators of cannabis must take all reasonable steps to ensure that cannabis cultivated outdoors does not spread outside the locations to which the licence applies.
The Medicinal Cannabis Agency may at any reasonable time inspect any locations covered by a medicinal cannabis licence, in addition to the inspection that is carried out as part of the licensing process. An inspection may include looking at facilities, records and cannabis material. The Medicinal Cannabis Agency may also copy records and take samples of cannabis material for testing purposes.
Record-keeping, stocktaking and reporting
You must have suitable record-keeping arrangements in place and will need to keep all records for a minimum of five years. Detailed requirements are set out in regulations 62 to 66 of the Misuse of Drugs (Medicinal Cannabis) Regulations 2019.
You will need to carry out a stocktake at the end of each year and report the results to the Medicinal Cannabis Agency, which will send a reminder to you prior to the due date.
Actual or suspected events involving cannabis
You must notify the Police immediately and the Medicinal Cannabis Agency within three days if:
- your licence is removed without authority or lost
- any cannabis, starting material, cannabis-based ingredients, or medicinal cannabis products in your possession or control is removed without authority or lost
- there is any unauthorised activity at a place where cannabis, starting material, cannabis-based ingredients or medicinal cannabis products are cultivated, manufactured or stored.
To report an issue please email the Medicinal Cannabis Agency at [email protected]