The Ministry of Health has been the key agency for policy development in the tobacco control area and is involved in a large number of policy, service development and operational aspects of tobacco control Read more.
In March 2011 the Government adopted the Smokefree 2025 goal for New Zealand. This was in response to the recommendations of a landmark Parliamentary inquiry by the Māori Affairs select committee. Read more
To reduce the smoking rates for New Zealanders our approach has been based on international best practices. While these approaches have had a significant effect for most groups, the smoking rates for Māori remain relatively high. Read more
This pages summaries the regulatory changes that took effect from 14 March 2018 and links to relevant documents Read more.
Vaping products are electrical devices that produce a vapour by heating a solution (e-liquid). Smokeless tobacco are a diverse group of products that are promoted as being potentially less harmful alternatives to tobacco smoking Read more.
Smokefree legislation applies to schools, early childhood centres, retailers, licensed premises, sports clubs and all employers Read more.
- Infringement notices
- Internal and open areas
- Smoke-free Environments Act 1990
- Smoke-free Environments Amendment Act 2003
Annual tobacco returns filed by manufacturers and importers pursuant to section 35 of the Smoke-free Environments Act 1990 which provides guidance on the form for returns and reports Read more.
The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) was developed in response to the globalised tobacco epidemic Read more.
- 26 January 2021: Public consultation on the vaping regulations is now open. Responses can be submitted until 5.00pm on 15 March 2021. View the online consultation.
- 11 November 2020:
- The Transitional Specialist Vape Retailer self-election form is now available. Read more.
- Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield has issued the following public health message on Vaping Facts. Read more.
- 21 October 2020: Go to Vaping Regulatory Authority to see changes that come into force from 11 November 2020.
- 2 September 2020: Updated: Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Bill
- 23 February 2020: Have your say on the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Bill
- 18 October 2019: Ka Pū te Ruha, ka Hao te Rangatahi - Good practice guidance for stop smoking services
- 22 August 2019: Letter from the Director-General on New Zealand’s international obligations regarding tobacco control
- 9 July 2019: Cabinet documents: Progress on Achieving Smokefree 2025