Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 Action Plan
The Ministry of Health has launched the Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 Action Plan. The vision for the Action Plan is to eliminate the harm smoked tobacco products cause our communities by transforming Aotearoa New Zealand to a smokefree nation by 2025. Visit the Smokefree Action Plan web page to access the plan, educational tools, and key information including the summary of submissions on proposals for a Smokefree Aotearoa 2025. Read more.
Tobacco control in New Zealand
The Ministry of Health has been the key agency for policy development in the tobacco control area and is involved in a large number of policy, service development and operational aspects of tobacco control Read more.
Tobacco standardised Packaging
- Our position on vaping
- The Electronic Cigarette Technical Expert Advisory Group
- Information for schools and early childhood centres
Smokefree legislation applies to schools, early childhood centres, retailers, licensed premises, sports clubs and all employers Read more.
- Smokefree infringement notices
- Smokefree internal and open areas
- Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990
- Smokefree complaints
Annual tobacco returns must be filed by tobacco manufacturers and importers under the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990.
Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
The WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) was developed in response to the globalised tobacco epidemic.
- Read more about the FCTC
- View the illicit trade protocol
- Meetings with tobacco industry representatives
Information for practitioners
- 15 March 2023: Consultation on proposals for the Smoked Regulatory Regime has now closed.
- 4 Jan 2023: Consultation is now open on proposals for the Smoked Tobacco Regulatory Regime. Manatū Hauora wants to hear from you about regulatory proposals for smoked tobacco and vaping products. Read more.
- 16 Dec 2022: The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Smoked Tobacco) Amendment Bill has been passed. Thousands of lives and billions of dollars to be saved with smokefree bill passing | Beehive.govt.nz
- 6 May 2022: Funding for Pacific Stop Smoking Services to support Smokefree 2025 goal
- 30 April 2022: Government launches Smokefree May campaign
- 26 April 2022: New ‘Quit’ campaign provider announced
- 15 Dec 2021: The Analysis of Submissions and full submissions to the Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 public consultation have been released
- 9 Dec 2021: The Regulatory Impact Statement for the Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 Action Plan has been released
- 9 Dec 2021: Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 Action Plan launched.
- 29 Nov 2021: The Ministry of Health is excited to reach another key milestone in developing a social media campaign to support youth to make the decision not to vape, with the appointment of its supplier Curative. An All-of-Government supplier, Curative was selected through a contestable process in recognition of its strong track-record delivering programmes co-designed with the young people whose behaviour they are seeking to change. Curative will work closely with the Ministry of Health and other key experts in the tobacco control space to develop the campaign.