Full details of the confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand.
Last updated 1pm 26 November 2020.
All information on this page is as at 9:00am 26 November 2020 unless otherwise stated.
Data is collected from the EpiSurv database (administered by ESR), unless otherwise stated. We’ll be updating this page as new information is available.
On this page:
- COVID-19 and ethnicity
- COVID-19 by age and sex
- Cases by hospitalisation and intensive care
- Details of all cases
|Total cases since first NZ case||Total tests for COVID-19 to date|
Note: This table shows the number of tests, and some people are tested more than once.
Cases by ethnicity
|Ethnicity*||Active (confirmed and probable)||Recovered||Deceased||Total cases since first case||Percentage of all cases|
|Middle Eastern, Latin American and African (MELAA)||4||62||1||67||3.3%|
|European or Other||37||1182||18||1237||60.6%|
* The prioritised ethnicity classification system is used in this table and below. This means each person is allocated to a single ethnic group, based on the ethnic groups they identify with. Where people identify with more than one group, they are assigned in this order of priority: Māori, Pacific Peoples, Asian, and European/Other. So, if a person identifies as being Māori and New Zealand European, the person is counted as Māori. See Ngā tapuae me ngā raraunga: Methods and data sources for further information.
The data categorized by ethnicity come from National Health Index (NHI) data collection, linked to data held in the EpiSurv database.
Cases by age
|Age group||Active (confirmed and probable)||Recovered||Deceased||Total cases||Percentage of all cases|
|0 to 9||1||81||0||82||4%|
|10 to 19||9||173||0||182||8.9%|
|20 to 29||17||467||0||484||23.7%|
|30 to 39||13||342||0||355||17.4%|
|40 to 49||10||276||0||286||14%|
|50 to 59||6||299||2||307||15%|
|60 to 69||2||209||3||214||10.5%|
|70 to 79||2||80||7||89||4.4%|
|80 to 89||0||24||8||32||1.6%|
Cases by sex
|Sex||Active (confirmed and probable)||Recovered||Deceased||Total cases||Percentage of all cases|
All data below is from 22 February to latest day's available data.
Cases in hospital and in intensive care (ICU) by age
|Age group||Total people hospitalised||Total people in ICU|
|0 to 9||1||0|
|10 to 19||3||1|
|20 to 29||7||1|
|30 to 39||16||1|
|40 to 49||16||3|
|50 to 59||27||4|
|60 to 69||22||4|
|70 to 79||18||4|
|80 to 89||8||0|
Cases in hospital and in intensive care by sex
|Sex||Total people hospitalised||Total people in ICU|
We publish details about every person with COVID-19 (confirmed or probable) in a downloadable spreadsheet below. For privacy reasons, this data only includes:
- Date potential case was notified
- Sex of case
- Age group of case
- DHB where the case lives - listed as "Managed isolation & quarantine" for border cases
- If the case is related to overseas travel
This file covers all cases from 26 February 2020 to 26 November 2020.
Researchers can request detailed data on COVID-19 in New Zealand by sending an email to the Ministry of Health Data Services team - [email protected]