Today we are reporting 9,173 community cases, 385 hospitalisations and 14 deaths.
Today’s seven-day rolling average of community case numbers is 7,927 – last Tuesday it was 7,943.
Today we are sadly reporting the deaths of 14 people with COVID-19.
These deaths take the total number of publicly reported deaths with COVID-19 to 876 and the 7-day rolling average of reported deaths is 14.
Of the people whose deaths we are reporting today; one person was from Northland, two from Auckland, one from Waikato, one from MidCentral, one from Hawke’s Bay, one from the Wellington region; six from Canterbury and one from Southern.
Six were in their 70s; three in their 80s and five were aged over 90.
Nine were women and five were men.
This is a very sad time for whānau and friends and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this time.
Out of respect, we will be making no further comment.
One million confirmed cases
Today we have reached a total of 1,001,898 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic in 2020. This time last year, our confirmed case total was 2,288.
New Zealander’s collective response to COVID-19 helped us to keep our case numbers low, especially in that first year when the virus was rampant internationally.
“I would like to reiterate my thanks to everyone in New Zealand who has played their part to keep our case numbers and rates low when compared internationally, and for continuing to do their bit to follow public health advice and minimise the spread of COVID-19,” says Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield.
Vaccinations administered in New Zealand
- Vaccines administered to date: 4,026,866 first doses; 3,978,451 second doses; 31,948 third primary doses; 2,639,286 booster doses: 261,975 paediatric first doses and 119,120 paediatric second doses
- Vaccines administered yesterday: 30 first doses; 46 second doses; 26 third primary doses; 1,031 booster doses; 28 paediatric first doses and 203 paediatric second doses
- All Ethnicities (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 4,055,715 first dose (96.4%); 4,006,678 second dose (95.2%), 2,634,225 boosted (70.8% of those eligible)
- Māori (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 521,113 first dose (91.3%); 504,194 second dose (88.3%), 235,565 boosted (54.2% of those eligible)
- Pacific Peoples (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 281,941 first dose (98.3%); 277,080 second dose (96.7%), 140,532 boosted (56.6% of those eligible)
- 5 to 11-year-olds all ethnicities: 259,095 first dose (54.4%); 116,278 second dose (24.4%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Māori: 40,856 first dose (35.4%); 13,317 second dose (11.5%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Pacific Peoples: 23,536 first dose (47.6%); 6,775 second dose (13.7%)
Note that the number for “People vaccinated” differs slightly from “Vaccines administered” as it includes those that have been vaccinated overseas.
Vaccination rates for all DHBs
- Northland DHB: first dose (90.1%); second dose (88.1%); boosted (67.4%)
- Auckland DHB: first dose (99.1%); second dose (98.2%); boosted (72.9%)
- Counties Manukau DHB: first dose (96.2%); second dose (95%); boosted (65.8%)
- Waitemata DHB: first dose (96.5%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (70.8%)
- Waikato DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.6%); boosted (66.3%)
- Bay of Plenty DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.5%); boosted (65.6%)
- Lakes DHB: first dose (93.1%); second dose (91.3%); boosted (65.9%)
- MidCentral DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.2%); boosted (71.8%)
- Tairāwhiti DHB: first dose (93.1%); second dose (90.9%); boosted (65.5%)
- Whanganui DHB: first dose (91.9%); second dose (90.4%); boosted (71.1%)
- Hawke’s Bay DHB: first dose (97.3%); second dose (95.7%); boosted (69.3%)
- Taranaki DHB: first dose (94.6%); second dose (93.3%); boosted (67.7%)
- Wairarapa DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95%); boosted (72.7%)
- Capital & Coast DHB: first dose (98.4%); second dose (97.8%); boosted (79.2%)
- Hutt Valley DHB: first dose (96.6%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (74.6%)
- Nelson Marlborough DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.2%); boosted (73.1%)
- West Coast DHB: first dose (92.6%); second dose (91.2%); boosted (71.2%)
- Canterbury DHB: first dose (99.7%); second dose (98.9%); boosted (74.1%)
- South Canterbury DHB: first dose (94.7%); second dose (93.7%); boosted (74.1%)
- Southern DHB: first dose (98.5%); second dose (97.5%); boosted (73%)
Partially and second doses percentages are for those 12+. Boosted percentages are for 18+ who have become eligible 3 months after having their second dose or 16 and 17 year olds who have become eligible 6 months after having their second dose.
- Cases in hospital: total number 385: Northland: 9; Waitemata: 43; Counties Manukau: 35; Auckland: 73; Waikato: 41; Bay of Plenty: 20; Lakes: 5; Tairāwhiti: 2; Hawke’s Bay: 16; Taranaki: 9; Whanganui: 1; MidCentral: 21; Wairarapa: 1; Hutt Valley: 6; Capital and Coast: 13; Nelson Marlborough: 8; Canterbury: 49; South Canterbury: 3; West Coast: 4; Southern: 26.
- Average age of current hospitalisations*: 59
- Cases in ICU or HDU: 13
- Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region only, excluding Emergency Departments): Unvaccinated or not eligible (35 cases / 15%); partially immunised <7 days from second dose or have only received one dose (6 cases / 3%); double vaccinated at least 7 days before being reported as a case (63 cases / 27%); Received booster at least 7 days before being reported as a case (122 cases / 53%); unknown (6 cases / 3%)
* Please note the average age of current hospitalisations is for the Northern Region admissions only at this stage. This data is recorded and extracted from the same source as the vaccination status of patients in Northern Region hospitals.
- Seven day rolling average of community cases: 7,927
- Seven day rolling average (as at same day last week): 7,943
- Number of new community cases: 9,173
- Number of new community cases (PCR): 227
- Number of new community cases (RAT): 8,946
- Location of new community cases (PCR & RAT): Northland (265), Auckland (2,945), Waikato (625), Bay of Plenty (254), Lakes (175), Hawke’s Bay (274), MidCentral (348), Whanganui (97), Taranaki (255), Tairāwhiti (75), Wairarapa (105), Capital and Coast (600), Hutt Valley (264), Nelson Marlborough (339), Canterbury (1,397), South Canterbury (164), Southern (889), West Coast (98), Unknown (4)
- Number of new cases identified at the border: 78
- Number of active community cases (total): 55,475 (cases identified in the past 7 days and not yet classified as recovered)
- Confirmed cases (total): 1,001,898
Please note, the Ministry of Health’s daily reported cases may differ slightly from those reported at a DHB or local public health unit level. This is because of different reporting cut off times and the assignment of cases between regions, for example when a case is tested outside their usual region of residence. Total numbers will always be the formal daily case tally as reported to the WHO.
- Number of PCR tests total (last 24 hours): 4,199
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests reported total (last 24 hours): 18,636
- PCR tests rolling average (last 7 days): 3,348
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests dispatched (last 7 days as of 10 May 2022): 1.5 million