- Number of new community cases: 45
- Number of new cases identified at the border: No cases
- Location of new community cases: Auckland
- Location of community cases (total): Auckland (including 4 cases in Upper Hauraki; all of whom are in the same household) 1,213 (969 of whom have recovered); Wellington 17 (all of whom have recovered)
- Number of community cases (total): 1,230 (in the current community outbreak)
- Cases infectious in the community: Four (50%) of yesterday’s cases have exposure events
- Cases in isolation throughout the period they were infectious: Four (50 %) of yesterday’s cases
- Cases epidemiologically linked: 33 of today’s 45 cases are linked. Of these 26 are household contacts.
- Cases to be epidemiologically linked: Twelve of today’s 45 cases. Investigations are continuing to determine a link.
- Cases epidemiologically linked (total): 1,193 (in the current cluster) (15 unlinked from the past fortnight).
- Number of sub-clusters: 15 epidemiologically linked subclusters. Of these, three are active, eight are contained and four are dormant. There are 10 epidemiologically unlinked subclusters. Of these, none are active, three are contained and seven are dormant.
- Cases in hospital: 16 (total): North Shore (2) Middlemore (7); Auckland (7)
- Cases in ICU or HDU: Three
- Confirmed cases (total)*: 3,892 since pandemic began.
- Historical cases, since 1 Jan 2021 (total): 159 out of 2,074 since 1 Jan 2021
*There are four new recoveries to report and a case from yesterday has now been reclassified as under investigation. Therefore the total case count has increased by 44 today.
- Number of open contacts being managed (total): 951
- Percentage who have received an outbound call from contact tracers (to confirm testing and isolation requirements): 92%
- Percentage with at least one test result: 91%
Locations of interest
- Locations of interest (total): 91 (as at 10am 28 September)
- Number of tests (total): 3,361,927
- Number of tests processed (total last 24 hours): 15,437
- Tests processed in Auckland (last 24 hours): 8,537
- Tests rolling average (last 7 days): 13,438
- Testing centres in Auckland: 21
- Wastewater detections: There are no new unexpected wastewater detections. We are awaiting further results following the positive detection in Tauranga reported yesterday.
COVID-19 vaccine update
- Vaccines administered to date (total): 5,132,627; 1st doses: 3,266,796; 2nd doses: 1,865,831
- Vaccines administered yesterday (total): 44,649 1st doses: 13,519; 2nd doses: 31,130
- Māori: 1st doses: 314,427; 2nd doses: 163,804
- Pacific Peoples: 1st doses: 203,198; 2nd doses: 114,733
- Vaccines administered to Auckland residents to date (total): 1,868,161; 1st doses: 1,185,737 (83%); 2nd doses: 682,424 (48%)
- Vaccines administered to Auckland residents yesterday (total): 14,376; 1st doses: 3,884; 2nd doses: 10,492
NZ COVID-19 tracer
- Registered users (total): 3,259,983
- Poster scans (total): 392,744,620
- Manual diary entries (total): 17,213,554
- Poster scans in 24 hours to midday yesterday: 2,358,889
Of today’s new cases, 33 are known to be household or other close contacts of existing cases and many of them have been isolating throughout their infectious period, either at home or in an MIQ facility.
Of the 26 household contacts, twelve come from two households, with six in each. Many of these cases were ‘expected’ and likely to arise from household and other close contacts
Presently 12 cases are unlinked and interviews are underway, however for six of those there are already potential links visible.
Now that Auckland is at Alert Level 3, some of these people may have been working in essential or permitted businesses during their infectious periods. This emphasises the importance of everyone in Auckland continuing to abide by Alert Level 3 measures – including mask wearing and staying in your bubble.