Information and resources on sexual and reproductive health.
Ministry of Health information
New Zealand Gonorrhoea guideline
This is a detailed resource document to back up the NZSHS best practice clinical guideline. As well as general management advice, the content also includes information on:
- targeted testing to balance the sensitivity and specificity of nucleic acid amplification testing to reduce the impact of false positive results in low prevalence populations
- surveillance of antimicrobial susceptibility and
- importance of prompt reporting of suspected treatment failures to specialist services
Updated STI management guidelines available (July 2012)
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are common in New Zealand. Associated complications include chronic pain, infertility, neonatal morbidity and genital tract cancer. Surveillance data regularly indicates that those aged less than 25 years and non-Europeans show a disproportionate burden of STIS, the highest numbers and rates for each STI are almost always seen in the 15 to 19 years and 20 to 24 years age groups. Primary care practitioners diagnose and treat the majority of STI cases in New Zealand.
Best practice guidelines on the management of STIs are an essential component of effective management of STIs in order to: (a) prevent onward transmission; (b) assist with partner notification; (c) reduce potential health complications; and (d) reduce risk of potential complications associated with development of antibiotic resistance.
STI Surveillance Reports
View the latest STI Surveillance Reports from ESR (Institute of Environmental Science and Research)
- STI Clinic Surveillance: Quarterly Report
- STI Lab Surveillance: Quarterly Report
- STI Surveillance: Annual Report
Relevant publications on other sites
HealthEd is a searchable catalogue of resources about key public health topics. The Ministry makes these available to the public, including health professionals, to promote a better understanding of public health and preventative measures that contribute to maintaining public health and wellbeing.
- Being Safer Sexually
- A Compact Guide to Sexual Health
- You and Your Teenager
- Talking with Your Teenager/Rangatahi About Safer Sex
- What are STI Tests?
- What is Genital Herpes?
- Chlamydia: Information Guide
- What is Gonorrhoea?
- What are Genital Warts?
- Are You Sharing More than Just the Love?
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Preventing HIV Infection
- HIV Testing in Pregnancy
- First Aid Precautions for Hepatitis B, HIV/AIDS and Other Blood-Borne Viruses
- Voluntary Counselling and Testing for Diagnosis of HIV Infection
- Health and Safety Information for Sex Workers
- Health and Safety Information for Operators of Businesses of Prostitution
- Information for Clients
- Information for Clients (poster)
- Information for Clients (sticker)
- No Condom, No Sex (poster in Simplified Chinese)