Ministry of Health Library
The Ministry’s library is open to health professionals and members of the public who are researching health-related issues. You can also search our Online Catalogue to access electronic versions of publications and index references for hard copy material.
Online Library Catalogue
The Ministry of Health’s Online Library Catalogue contains:
- Electronic versions of the Ministry’s publications – including many of our older ones. (You can read these online or download them.)
- Index references for hard copy resources held in the Ministry’s Library and Information Centre.
You can also find current Ministry of Health publications in the Publications section of this site.
Using the Library and Information Centre
The Ministry’s library is open to health professionals and members of the public who are researching health-related issues. You can’t borrow directly from the collection, but you can:
- come into the library to use the collection for research (a photocopier is available)
- use our online catalogue to find out what we have, then contact your local library to arrange an interloan. (There may be a charge from your library for this).
About the library’s collection
The collection is the most comprehensive of its type in New Zealand.
- The library holds approximately 15,000 books and subscribes to around 250 journals.
- The collection covers health planning, policy, funding, disability and mental health services, public and personal health.
- A key focus is international trends in health care, particularly in countries comparable to New Zealand, such as the United Kingdom, the smaller EU countries, Canada, Australia, and the United States to a lesser extent.
- The library endeavours to collect or provide access to the most comprehensive range possible of published research, and reports about policies and their implementation.
Access other New Zealand health libraries
The National Library has a directory of New Zealand libraries (regularly updated).
If you’re a researcher, you’ll find details of medical, health and other special libraries that may be of interest.
Contact the library
133 Molesworth Street, Thorndon, Wellington.
(The library is in the basement.)
All books, current journals and new items are displayed here.
Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4 pm.
Tel: (04) 496 2133
Fax: (04) 496 2407