Please note that the private hospital data included in this report is not complete, as not all private hospitals report their data to the Ministry of Health.
This statistical data contains national data in tabular form, detailing the numbers of privately funded patients discharged from, and procedures carried out in both public and private hospitals.
The statistical data highlights the following facts:
Privately funded discharges from hospitals
- In 2005/06 there were 83,611 privately funded discharges from hospitals
- Inpatient hospitalisations (34,258) were 41 percent of total discharges with the remaining 49,353 discharged as daycases
- Females accounted for 55 percent of 2005/06 discharges
Total population, by age
- Of the total privately funded discharges, the largest age group represented was the 55-59 year olds (8,789 or 10.5%), followed by the 60-64 (7830) and 50-54 (7827) year groups respectively (both 9.4%)
Total population, discharge rates
- The age-standardised discharge rate for 2005/06 was 1,800 per 100,000 population
Total numbers of privately funded procedures undertaken in hospitals
- In 2005/06 there were 175,795 privately funded procedures undertaken in hospitals
- Females accounted for 55.9 percent of 2005/06 operations
- 57.8 percent of all procedures (101,685) were undertaken as a daycase