Consultation on Paying Family Carers to Provide Disability Support 2012
This consultation closed at 5pm on Tuesday 6 November 2012.
The Ministry of Health (the Ministry) is changing its current policy of not paying family carers who provide home and community support to their disabled adult family members. This follows the Government’s decision not to appeal the Court of Appeal ruling in the family carers case (Ministry of Health v Atkinson and others) in June 2012.
This consultation document describes options for paying family carers providing disability support to disabled adult family members. The Ministry is seeking your feedback on the different options.
Some of the questions being asked include the following.
- How can we ensure good outcomes for the disabled person and their family under a policy allowing family carers to be paid?
- Should eligibility for payment be targeted?
- How should family carers be paid?
- What should family carers be paid for?
- Should a new family carers payment be established through the welfare system?
- What can the Government afford?
All feedback will be considered and the new policy is expected to come into effect in May 2013.
The closing date and time for submissions was 5 pm, Tuesday 6 November 2012.