This page provides updates on the progress of the Smoke-free Environments (Tobacco Plain Packaging) Amendment Bill. It also provides links to the consultation process (now closed), cabinet papers, submissions, reports and other related links.
The Smoke-free Environments (Tobacco Plain Packaging) Amendment Bill had its first reading on 11 February 2014. See statement from Hon Tariana Turia on Beehive website.
It follows a decision in April 2012 by the Government to agree in principle to introduce a plain packaging regime in alignment with Australia pending the outcome of a public consultation process (published online: 23 July 2012). The public consultation closed on 5 October 2012 and Cabinet considered a report on the consultation on 18 February 2013. The Government decided to proceed with legislation (see statement on Beehive website). The resultant bill was lodged in December 2013 (see statement on Beehive website).
The Ministry of Health will now begin developing the policy which include the specifications around plain packaging legal requirements including the size and content of pictorial health warnings on packaging.
The image on this page is an Australian example of plain cigarette packaging. The font style and size is identical across brands. Plain packaging will make smoking less attractive for children.
Plain Packaging of Tobacco Products
- Report on Submission Analysis (Word, 560 KB)
- Regulatory Impact Statement (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Cabinet paper – 27 November 2012 (PDF, 1 MB)
- Cabinet minute – CAB Min (13) 4/16 (Word, 48 KB)
Tobacco Plain Packaging: Approval for drafting
- Cabinet paper – 21 August 2013 (PDF, 3.7 MB)
- Cabinet Social Policy Committee minutes – SOC Min (13) 19/6 (PDF, 1.1 MB)
- Cabinet minute – CAB Min (13) 30/5 (PDF, 166 KB)
Smoke-free Environments (Tobacco Plain Packaging) Amendment Bill: Approval for introduction
- Cabinet paper – 11 December 2013 (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Cabinet Legislation Committee minute – LEG Min (13) 28/7 (PDF, 359 KB)
- Cabinet paper – Standardised Tobacco Product Packaging Update & Next Steps (pdf, 40 KB)
- Cabinet Social Policy Committee minutes – Standardised Tobacco Product Packaging Update & Next Steps cabinet, 11 November 2015 (pdf, 241 KB)
Information that is not related to plain packaging has been removed from these documents.
Some information has been withheld under Official Information Act provisions. Where this has occured it is noted in the papers next to the redaction.