During its existence the Centre for Rural Health published a number of reports on rural health related topics, which remain available on this website.
The Centre for Rural Health was established late 1994. It was funded initially by the Southern Regional Health Authority, then the Health Funding Authority and finally by the Ministry of Health for a series of projects to support rural health services and community involvement. It was also known as the National Centre for Rural Health. The Centre closed in late 2002, with final publications being completed in 2003 and made available online.
As the Centre closed at the end of 2002, it is not possible for these reports and resources to be updated on an ongoing basis. Each document gives details of the month and year of its publication, and your careful reading will enable you to distinguish between contemporary and continuing relevance.
Although copies of these documents have been deposited with the National Library of New Zealand, and the Ministry of Health Library, the Centre intended that they are made available indefinitely in electronic form. Except for some of the final documents published in 2003, most reports and resources were widely distributed as bound documents. Please note that as a consistent pagination protocol was adopted when they were uploaded, page numbers in the electronic version may differ from earlier hard copy versions. We therefore advise that you reference the electronic version.
Success factors for rural health services and community participation
- Community Participation in Rural Health Services (2003) by Sue Grimwood and Martin London (Word, 536 KB)
- The Successful Design and Delivery of Rural Health Services: Facilitating Community Participation, Testing the Tool (2003) by Sue Grimwood and Martin London (PDF, 447 KB)
- The Successful Design and Delivery of Rural Health Services: The Meaning of Success (2002) by Merian Litchfield (PDF, 438 KB)
- Successful Models of Rural Health Service Delivery and Community Involvement in Rural Health: International Literature Review (2001) by Simon Bidwell (PDF, 429 KB)
- An Educational Programme to Foster Collaboration for Rural Teams (2003) by Jean Ross (PDF, 933 KB)
- An International Literature Search and Review of Rural Teamwork and Teambuilding (2001) by Simon Bidwell and Jean Ross (PDF, 269 KB)
- Dimensions of Team Effectiveness in Rural Health Services (2001) by Jean Ross (PDF, 425 KB)
Development of rural nurses and nursing
- Describing Your Scope of Practice: A Resource for Rural Nurses by Shelley Jones and Jean Ross (2003) (PDF, 415 KB)
- A Framework of Complementary Models of Rural Nursing (2001) by Merian Litchfield (PDF, 311 KB)
- The Role of Rural Nurses National Survey (2000) by Merian Litchfield and Jean Ross (PDF, 536 KB)
- Competency Framework for Rural Nurses by Shelley Jones and Jean Ross (due 2004)
- Career Development Framework for Rural Nurses by Shelley Jones and Jean Ross (due 2004)
Resources for new or locum rural practitioners
- A Handbook for New and Locum Rural Nurses (2002) by Linda Brown, Marg Eckhoff, Gayle Lindley and Shelley Jones (PDF, 611 KB)
- Orientation Pack for New Rural Practitioners and Their Families in New Zealand (2001) by Linda Brown, Heather Maw and Martin London (PDF, 288 KB)
Rural workforce reports
- New Zealand Annual Rural Workforce Survey 2002 by Martin London (2004) (PDF, 496 KB)
- New Zealand Annual Rural Workforce Survey 2001 (2003) by Martin London (PDF, 415 KB)
- New Zealand Annual Rural Workforce Survey 2000 (2001) by Martin London (PDF, 289 KB)
- Rural General Practitioner Recruitment and Retention in New Zealand (2001) by Martin London (PDF, 263 KB)