Mental health and addictions
This section provides information about the Ministry's work in the areas of mental health, depression and suicide prevention.
In this section
- Information on alcohol and public health policy in New Zealand Read more
- Drug policy in New Zealand is guided by the National Drug Policy and the National Drug Policy Committees. Read more
- Information on Ministry's mental health work, which includes providing policy advice, administering legislation and developing the workforce. Read more
- An initiative aiming to reduce the impact of depression on the lives of New Zealanders by aiding early recognition, appropriate treatment and recovery. Read more
- The Ministry funds and coordinates problem gambling services. This section covers problem gambling services, their usage, and the problem gambling levy. Read more
- Information for health services, schools and police on withdrawal from psychoactive substances. Read more
- Rising to the Challenge is the Government’s 5-year service development plan for mental health and addiction services. Read more
- Information on the Ministry’s suicide prevention work, including the New Zealand Suicide Prevention Strategy, Action Plan, and suicide prevention initiatives. Read more
- The Prime Minister’s Youth Mental Health Project is working to improve the mental health and wellbeing of young people. Read more
- Publications relating to mental health in New Zealand, including suicide prevention and the National Depression Initiative. Read more
The Programme for the Integration of Mental Health Data (PRIMHD) is a project to create a single collection of national mental health information.
Information for the public on mental health and addictions.