- Diseases and conditions
The World Health Organization describes the prevalence of obesity as an epidemic.
The most recent obesity figures for adults and children were released in December 2013 in New Zealand Health Survey: Annual update of key findings 2012/13.
The 2012/13 New Zealand Health Survey found that:
- almost one in three adults (aged 15 years and over) were obese (31%), a further 34% were overweight
- one in nine children aged 2 to 14 years were obese (11%), a further one in five children were overweight (22%).
In this section
- Statistics on obesity in New Zealand taken from the New Zealand Health Survey: Annual update of key findings 2012/13. Read more
- An introduction to what causes obesity, how it’s measured and why it’s a concern. Read more
- Publications relating to obesity, nutrition and physical activity in New Zealand. Read more
A website where health professionals can access information about implementing weight management guidelines: