The New Zealand Health Survey (NZHS) provides information about the health and wellbeing of New Zealanders. The NZHS became a continuous survey in 2011, enabling the publication of annual updates on the health of New Zealanders.
You can find on this page:
- latest survey results
- about the survey
- survey methodology and information
- how to access survey microdata
- 2014/15 Health Survey publications
- 2013/14 Health Survey publications
- 2012/13 Health Survey publications
- 2011/12 Health Survey publications
- 2006/07 Health Survey publications
- 2002/03 Health Survey publications
- 1996/97 Health Survey publications
- 1992/93 Health Survey publications
These tables cover the most important statistics (Tier 1) from the 2014/15 New Zealand Health Survey.
This report presents the 2013/14 results from the New Zealand Health Survey, for both adults and children. The report includes information on health behaviours and risk factors, health conditions and access to health services.
This publication includes key data from the New Zealand Health Survey at District Health Board and Public Health Unit level for adults and children.
This report presents findings from the 2013/14 New Zealand Health Survey (NZHS) about amphetamine use in the last 12 months (past year) in adults aged 16–64 years of age. It also reports the mean age of ‘past year’ amphetamine users aged 16–64 years of age. Data was self-reported and collected from 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2014.
This publication explores the increase in obesity obesity over a 36 year period to 2013 and reviews the current status of adult and child obesity in New Zealand, looking at the population subgroups that are affected most.
Information collected through the New Zealand Health Survey supports the development of health services, policy and strategy. Survey data is collected continuously but findings are reported annually.
The 2013/14 results provide data for people selected for the survey from July 2013 to June 2014. The 2013/14 survey collected information from 4699 children aged 0–14 years, and 13,309 adults aged from 15 years.
This guide provides detailed information on the definitions of all the indicators in the survey report. For each of those indicators, the guide also provides the relevant questions asked within the NZHS questionnaires.
This methodology report details the procedures and protocols followed to ensure the New Zealand Health Survey produces the high-quality and robust data expected of official statistics.
The questionnaires and content guide give information about the content of the adult and child surveys.
This report outlines the sample design of the New Zealand Health Survey.
This report outlines the key information domains and topic areas in the survey.
Researchers can apply to access the unit record data from the survey for research purposes.
A confidential unit record file (CURF) of the 2012/13 New Zealand Health Survey will be available mid-2014, through Statistics New Zealand.
Read more about How to access survey microdata.
Go to Statistics New Zealand to find out how to apply to CURFs.
- Annual Update of Key Results 2013/14: New Zealand Health Survey
- Regional results from the 2011-2014 New Zealand Health Survey
- Amphetamine Use 2013/14: New Zealand Health Survey
- Understanding Excess Body Weight: New Zealand Health Survey
- Indicator Interpretation Guide 2013/14: New Zealand Health Survey
- Methodology Report 2013/14: New Zealand Health Survey
- Questionnaires and Content Guide 2013/14: New Zealand Health Survey
- New Zealand Health Survey: Annual update of key findings 2012/13
- Regional results from the 2011–13 New Zealand Health Survey
- Alcohol Use 2012/13: New Zealand Health Survey
- Tobacco Use 2012/13: New Zealand Health Survey
- Amphetamine Use 2012/13: Key findings of the New Zealand Health Survey
- Cannabis Use 2012/13: New Zealand Health Survey
- Content Guide and questionnaires 2012/13
- Methodology Report 2012/13
- The Health of New Zealand Adults 2011/12
- The Health of New Zealand Children 2011/12
- The Health of Māori Adults and Children 2011/12
- The Health of Pacific Adults and Children 2011/12
- Regional results 2011/12
- Hazardous drinking 2011/12
- Patient Experience 2011/12
- Emergency Department Use 2011/12
- Gambling and problem gambling: results of the 2011/12 New Zealand health survey
- Problem Gambling 2011/12: Preliminary Results
- Methodology report 2011/12
- Content guide 2011/12
- A Portrait of Health: Key results of the 2006/07 New Zealand Health Survey
- A focus on problem gambling 2006/07
- A focus on Māori and pacific children 2006/07
- Methodology report 2006/07
- Content guide 2006/07
- Sampling Maori populations 2006/07
- Body Size Technical Report: Measurements and classifications in the 2006/07 New Zealand Health Survey
- A Portrait of Health: Key results of the 2002/03 New Zealand Health Survey (available in the Library Catalogue)
- Taking the Pulse: The 1996/97 New Zealand Health Survey (available in the Library Catalogue)
- A Picture of Health (available in the Library Catalogue)
- Shaping Up: A profile of New Zealanders’ patterns of smoking, drinking, exercise and body mass index (available in the Library Catalogue)