Many New Zealanders gamble occasionally, they might buy a lottery ticket or go to the races, but for some people gambling can lead to serious harm.
Warning signs of harmful gambling
You may be experiencing gambling harm if:
- you are starting to experience stress associated with gambling
- gambling is starting to put pressure on budget
- gambling is starting to cause relationship problems
- you are spending more time or money than planned
- you are making excuses or being secretive with people about how much time and money you’ve spent on gambling
- you are feeling guilty or worried about the amount you are gambling
- you or your family are going without basic needs because of money spent on gambling
- you think you can gamble your way out of debt
- you are losing interest in friends, family or other activities
- you are borrowing or taking money from friends, family, or a workplace.