High Use Health Card payments

Where do health providers send the completed applications?

All completed and signed forms can be emailed to [email protected]

Information on who can use it and when

A High Use Health Card entitles frequent health service users to reduced costs for some doctor visits and some prescriptions. The card is valid for 1 year.

Who qualifies for a High Use Health Card?

To qualify for a High Use Health Card, a patient must have received at least 12 health practitioner consultations within the last 12 months for a particular ongoing medical condition(s). Evidence of this may be required.

To qualify towards a High Use Health Card, a health practitioner consultation must comply with the provisions of the Health Entitlement Cards Regulations 1993 and its amendments.

Health services that receive reimbursement under the Injury Prevention, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2001 do not qualify towards a High Use Health Card.

How to apply for a High Use Health Card

Only a medical/general practitioner can submit a High Use Health Card application.

Medical/general practitioners can order application forms for the High Use Health Card from the Ministry's Publications Centre, by calling freephone 0800 855 066.

Both the medical/ general practitioner and the patient (or guardian of the patient) must sign the application form on visit 12. All 12 patient visits must be within 12 months of the date the medical/general practitioner signed the application form. The medical/general practitioner sends the completed High Use Health Card application form to the Ministry of Health, Private Bag 3015, Whanganui Mail Centre, Whanganui 4540.

To ensure that the patient receives their card promptly, please check all details required on the application form have been completed correctly before posting to the Ministry of Health.

If the application is approved, the High Use Health Card is sent directly to the patient and the medical/general practitioner is advised of the acceptance, or rejection.

The card is valid for 1 year.

Each month the Ministry of Health informs medical/general practitioners of any patients whose High Use Health Cards are due to expire.

The medical/general practitioner must submit a new application if the patient still meets the eligibility criteria. The application can not be made more than 30 days before the current card expires.

Entitlement date

The High Use Health Card will be valid from the day following the last consultation date on the application form. This is called the entitlement date.

If the application is a renewal, the card’s entitlement date will be the day after the expiry date of the previous card or the date when the medical/general practitioner and patient signed the application form; whichever is the latest.


If a patient uses and pays for a health service after their entitlement for the High Use Health Card commences but before they receive their card, the patient may apply for a partial reimbursement from Work and Income. The patient will need to contact Work and Income to request a Reimbursement of Heath Overcharges application form. Along with the form, a patient will need to provide:

  • their High Use Health Card
  • original consultation receipts showing consult date, reason for healthcare visit and cost, and/or,
  • original prescription receipts showing date, name of medication and cost
  • a deposit slip for their bank account for reimbursement to be paid in to personal ID.

Lost/stolen cards

If a High Use Health Card is lost or stolen, the patient should contact the Ministry of Health on 0800 855 066 as soon as possible. They will be issued with a new card that has the same expiry date.

The patient will need to give their name, address, High Use Health Card number and date of birth.

Change of address

If the patient changes their address, the medical/general practitioner should contact the Ministry of Health, giving the patient’s name, card number, previous address and new address.

Cardholder deceased

If the patient dies, the medical/general practitioner should notify the Ministry of Health in writing to ensure no further correspondence is sent to the patient’s address.

For more information contact

Ministry of Health
Private Bag 3015
Whanganui Mail Centre
Whanganui 4540

Phone: 0800 855 066

Email: [email protected]

Please note: you should not rely solely on the answers provided here; the contracts applicable to each provider and all relevant legislation must be consulted to determine the full rights & liabilities applicable to any service provider or funder.

Back to top