Mosquitoes like to live and breed in standing water – any kind, anywhere. The best way to get rid of them is to stop them from breeding. Getting rid of things that hold water is a simple way to do this.
- Get rid of all tins, jars, bottles, plastic bags or other items that can lie around and hold water.
- Get rid of all old tyres and drill holes in the bottom of tyre swings.
- Fill or drain hollows in the ground that can hold water.
- Overturn boats, canoes and dinghies – in fact, anything you have to store outside that could hold water.
- Cover venting pipes on septic tanks with mosquito-proof covers.
- Seal or cover rainwater tanks.
- Stock ponds with fish (some fish love mosquito larvae).
- Empty and clean pot plant saucers (even better, fill them with sand).
- Empty and clean animal and pet drinking water containers.
- Check gutters and drains are clear of leaves and blockages.
- Some pot plants hold water in their leaves – empty once a week.
- Keep swimming pools well chlorinated and filtered and free of dead leaves.
- Empty paddling pools.