This series of 5 population-specific food and nutrition guidelines background papers provide the Ministry’s evidence base for nutrition policy advice and support the implementation of strategies such as the New Zealand Health Strategy.
These documents are an important tool for health professionals in New Zealand who provide nutrition advice as part of their daily work.
Each guideline background paper has an accompanying health education resource for the general public.
Infants and Toddlers (0–2)
- Food and Nutrition Guidelines for Healthy Infants and Toddlers (Aged 0 to 2 years) – A Background Paper (May 2008)
- Healthy Eating for Babies and Toddlers from Birth to 2 Years Old – HealthEd website
Children and Young People (2-18 years)
- Food and Nutrition Guidelines for Healthy Children and Young People (Aged 2-18 Years) – A background paper (Aug 2012)
- Eating for Healthy Children aged 2 to 12 – HealthEd website
- Healthy Eating for Young People – HealthEd website
Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women
- Food and Nutrition Guidelines for Healthy Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women – A Background Paper (April 2006 - revised November 2008)
- Eating for Healthy Pregnant Women – HealthEd website
- Eating for Healthy Breastfeeding Women – Health Ed website
- Food and Nutrition Guidelines for Healthy Adults – A Background paper (October 2003)
- New Zealand Food and Nutrition Guideline statements
- Eating for Healthy Adult New Zealanders – HealthEd website