These documents provide in-depth information on eating and activity issues, beyond what is covered in the Guidelines document.
Existing issue-based documents
- How We Eat – Reviews of the evidence on food and eating behaviours related to diet and body size (Gerritsen and Wall, 2017)
- Guidance for Healthy Weight Gain in Pregnancy (Ministry of Health, 2014)
- Consensus Statement on Vitamin D and Sun Exposure in New Zealand (Ministry of Health, 2012)
- Companion Statement on Vitamin D and Sun Exposure in Pregnancy and Infancy in New Zealand (Ministry of Health, 2013)
Developing new documents
Other issue-based documents will be produced as required, prioritised to meet the information needs of the health sector.
The Ministry and relevant specialists will develop the issue-based documents using the latest evidence. Relevant stakeholders in the health sector will be consulted about the draft documents before they are finalised.
Work is currently underway on:
- physical activity for under-fives
- serving size review.
Physical activity for under-fives
The Ministry is in the process of updating the advice on physical activity for under-fives. This advice covers age and stage appropriate fundamental movement skills, activities and other information for children under five years.
The Review of Physical Activity Guidance and Resources for Under-Fives provides options and recommendations to the Ministry on how these resources could be updated.
Serving size review
The Ministry has begun a review of its current serving size advice. So far we have completed a review of relevant literature and other countries’ serving size advice. We have also held an initial sector stakeholder meeting. We are currently investigating next steps.