- My DHB
- Key organisations
- District health boards
- Crown entities and agencies
- Non-governmental organisations
- Public health units
- Health alliances
- Primary health organisations
- Professional and regulatory bodies
- Ministerial health committees
- Appointments to statutory bodies
- Statutory framework
- Health Targets
- Eligibility for public health services
- Claims, provider payments, and entitlements
- Publicly funded health services
District health boards
District health boards (DHBs) are responsible for providing or funding the provision of health services in their district. Disability support services and some health services are funded and purchased nationally by the Ministry of Health.
Objectives and roles of DHBs
The New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000 created DHBs.
It sets out their objectives, which are:
- improving, promoting and protecting the health of people and communities
- promoting the integration of health services, especially primary and secondary care services
- seeking the optimum arrangement for the most effective and efficient delivery of health services in order to meet local, regional, and national needs
- promoting effective care or support of those in need of personal health services or disability support.
There are currently 20 DHBs in New Zealand. They are required to plan and deliver services regionally, as well as in their own individual areas.
Other DHB objectives include:
- promoting the inclusion and participation in society and the independence of people with disabilities
- reducing health disparities by improving health outcomes for Māori and other population groups
- reducing – with a view toward elimination – health outcome disparities between various population groups.
DHBs are expected to show a sense of social responsibility, to foster community participation in health improvement, and to uphold the ethical and quality standards commonly expected of providers of services and public sector organisations.
Public hospitals are owned and funded by DHBs.
In this section
- Maps showing the district health boards and their boundaries. Read more
- Access websites for all of New Zealand's district health boards. Read more
- Introduction to the role and appointment of district health board (DHB) board members. List of current members of all DHB boards. Read more
- The National Health Board is responsible for funding, monitoring and ensuring the sector is compliant with accountability expectations. This section contains the district health board performance reports and information on the Nationwide Service Framework Library. Read more