Mental health services

Most people will be referred to mental health services through their GP or family doctor. In this section you can find out what to do in an emergency and other support including phone and online services and information.

What to do in an emergency

If you’re seriously concerned about someone’s immediate safety:

  • call 111 or take them to the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) at your nearest hospital
  • phone your nearest hospital, or your district health board’s psychiatric emergency service or mental health crisis assessment team
  • remain with them and help them to stay safe until support arrives.


Other resources

Find out more from the Ministry

Mental health – Read about the Ministry’s work in the areas of mental health, depression and suicide prevention.

Mental health-related legislation – Legislative Acts relating to mental health and addictions are summarised below. Each Act can be viewed in full on the New Zealand Legislation website.

In this section

Back to top