How to claim travel assistance

Getting registered

  1. Your hospital travel coordinator, health or disability specialist, or nominated social worker will need to help you register for travel assistance. They’ll send the completed registration form to the Ministry of Health.
  2. The Ministry of Health will assess your application.
  3. If you’re eligible, a confirmation letter, along with blank claim forms, will be sent to your mailing address.

Filing claims

  1. Complete each claim form fully.
  2. Get it signed and stamped by the facility or hospital - or attach signed and stamped proof of attendance (for example, a hospital appointment discharge card, letter or note, on hospital letterhead paper).
  3. Attach your receipts. They must be original and itemised.
  4. When you make your first claim, attach a deposit slip, the top of your bank statement, or account verification from your bank. (If your bank account details change at any time, repeat this with your new bank account details.)
  5. For some claims, we ask you to wait until the minimum number of visits has been attended before submitting your first claim. These are:
    22 or more visits to a specialist in two months
    Six or more visits to a specialist in six months, and travel more than 25 km one way (child) or 50 km one way (adult), per visit.
  6. You must put in a claim for travel assistance within 12 months of the date of the appointment.
  7. Send completed forms to:

    National Travel Assistance
    Sector Operations
    Ministry of Health
    PO Box 1026
    Wellington 6140

Privacy notice: Any personal information you provide when registering or making a claim for travel assistance will be held securely by the Ministry of Health and kept confidential, except for any disclosure that may be required by law. You have the right to access your information and can request that it be corrected at any time.

Back to top