The Ministry of Health can provide different kinds of support if you have a disability. This includes equipment and modifications to your home or vehicle to help with your everyday activities.
Who we support
We offer support for people who have a physical, intellectual, sensory (vision or hearing) and/or age-related disability.
You must also:
- have a long-term disability (a disability that is likely to continue for at least 6 months)
- need specific equipment, or modifications to your home or vehicle, to help you manage and/or access your everyday activities
- have a disability that is not already covered by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC)
- be a New Zealand resident usually living in New Zealand
- be living in New Zealand at the time you request and receive the equipment or modifications.
What we provide
Our Equipment and Modifications Service (EMS) can support you by:
- providing advice on the best equipment or modifications to your home and/or vehicle to suit your particular needs
- providing equipment on long-term loan
- helping pay all or part of the costs of modifications to your home or vehicle.
Find out more about the support we can provide for:
- equipment for disabled people
- housing modifications for disabled people
- vehicle modifications for disabled people
- hearing and vision services.
The Ministry of Health has a set amount of money to pay for all the equipment and modifications to houses or vehicles that could assist disabled and older people. A Prioritisation process is used to help make it as fair as possible when deciding who gets funding for equipment or modifications.
How to get our support
An EMS assessor can help you work out what you need and how to get it. They can also help you work out if you can get Ministry of Health funding and talk with you about other funding options.
EMS assessors can be occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech language therapists or other hearing and vision professionals.
To find an EMS assessor, contact your:
- Enable Information on phone: 0800 17 1981
- local district health board
- Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) organisation
- occupational therapists
- speech language therapists
- Life Unlimited Hearing Therapy Services – email@example.com
- Deaf Aotearoa New Zealand – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talklink – Assistive Technology Services
- Blind Foundation of New Zealand
- New Zealand Optometrists Association
- New Zealand Audiological Society