Community Residential Support Services

Community Residential Support Services are one of a range of support services funded by the Ministry of Health. These services assist disabled people to live in a supported community environment.

Kia ora, Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People is now the guardian of the content on this webpage, and they are preparing to move it to their new website. For more information please go to the Whaikaha – Ministry of Disabled People website.

Community Residential Support Services allow you to live in a home-like setting in your community, while receiving support for up to 24 hours a day. This might include help with things like:

  • shopping
  • preparing and cooking meals
  • household chores such as washing your clothes and vacuuming
  • your personal cares such as eating and drinking, getting dressed and undressed, and taking a shower
  • getting out and doing things in your neighbourhood, for example going to see a movie and visiting friends.

Services are provided in a range of community settings such as small or large homes, groups of small homes or flats.

  • The home or flat should be easy for you to get into and move about in.
  • You should be able to use things in the home like the benches and stove if you want to.
  • You’ll have your own bedroom where you can have your own personal belongings.

The home is situated in a neighbourhood and has paid staff to help you with everyday activities and to find ways you can take part in your local community. This means having the opportunity to go to community places and groups, leisure activities and being able to socialise and meet other people.

The options available to you will depend on the disability you experience, where you wish to live and what is available in that region.

Community residential support services are supplied by a provider who has a contract with the Ministry of Health.

Who can get Community Residential Support Services

You may be able to get Community Residential Support Services if:

  • you are a New Zealand resident
  • you're under 65 years old
  • you have a long-term intellectual, physical, or sensory disability
  • you meet the Ministry's definition of being disabled
  • a NASC has made an assessment that says your needs are best met by community residential support services
  • your disability is not covered by ACC.

If you're over 65 and you were living in community residential support service before you turned 65, you can remain there if it's assessed as appropriate.

Talk to your local Needs Assessment Service Coordination service to find out more. They’ll let you know if you meet the criteria and if a community residential support service is best for you.

How Community Residential Support Services are paid for

If you receive a benefit, Community Residential Support Services are paid for by you and the Ministry of Health.

  • You make a contribution of a set amount from the benefit you receive from Work and Income.
  • You’ll keep the left-over portion of your benefit (called a Personal Allowance) for your personal needs such as shampoo, magazines and postage stamps.
  • The Ministry of Health pays the remaining cost of your Community Residential Support Services.

Work and Income can tell you what the usual rates of the Personal Allowance are and the amount of the contribution you make towards the cost of your services. They can also tell you about other entitlements you may be able to receive such as the Disability Allowance.

Find out more

Contact your local NASC to find out more about this service. Your doctor or health professional should also be able to refer you to a NASC.

A disability information service will also be able to help you find your local NASC and give you information about services and support in your area.

Check with Work and Income New Zealand for information on benefits and allowances.

For more information on Disability Allowances for people on a Residential Support Subsidy, you can contact the Residential Subsidy Unit:

  • Call them on freephone 0800 999 779
  • Write to them at Private Bag 9032, Whangarei.
Back to top