Flu vaccine data

Data and statistics about the rollout of the 2022 flu vaccine campaign in New Zealand.

Last updated: 29 June 2022

On this page:


Data on this page is as at 11:59 pm 24 June 2022 and is updated weekly on Wednesdays.

Data is collected from the National Immunisation Register and the National Immunisation system and collated weekly. It is collected from two systems due to the variety of providers that administer flu vaccinations and the associated system compatibility.

Total vaccinations

  Māori Pacific NMNP Total
18 June to 24 June 3,146 2,107 24,558 29,811
Total year to date 86,977 46,806 939,069 1,072,852

Definitions

  • NMNP: Non-Māori, non-Pacific - an Ethnicity grouping containing all ethnicities other than Māori and Pacific Peoples. Includes Pākehā / NZ European, Asian, Other and Unknown.

Vaccination uptake: age 65+

  Māori Māori % Pacific Pacific % NMNP NMNP % Total Total %
Auckland 1,314 60.8% 2,737 55.1% 36,335 63.8% 40,386 63.1%
Bay of Plenty 3,146 60.1% 185 58.2% 32,613 69.2% 35,944 68.2%
Canterbury 1,998 69.7% 566 60.7% 66,830 72.8% 69,394 72.6%
Capital and Coast 1,292 64.6% 1,279 60.4% 27,805 70.1% 30,376 69.4%
Counties Manukau 2,705 59.4% 6,197 57.6% 34,657 62.5% 43,559 61.6%
Hawkes Bay 2,008 58.7% 238 60.9% 21,029 71.6% 23,275 70.2%
Hutt Valley 917 60.4% 676 62.7% 13,736 67.7% 15,329 67.0%
Lakes 1,669 55.0% 105 46.5% 9,706 61.0% 11,480 59.9%
MidCentral 1,448 63.5% 248 60.9% 22,049 70.4% 23,745 69.9%
Nelson Marlborough 716 65.3% 82 65.1% 23,199 68.5% 23,997 68.4%
Northland 3,365 54.4% 180 54.4% 20,949 61.3% 24,494 60.2%
South Canterbury 219 64.4% 23 65.7% 9,520 72.3% 9,762 72.1%
Southern 1,383 66.9% 261 63.8% 37,858 67.2% 39,502 67.2%
Tairāwhiti 1,499 63.2% 44 54.3% 3,589 62.9% 5,132 62.9%
Taranaki 940 62.7% 51 56.7% 14,500 68.3% 15,491 67.9%
Waikato 3,542 56.1% 566 55.1% 42,420 64.7% 46,528 63.9%
Wairarapa 394 60.5% 56 69.1% 6,963 67.8% 7,413 67.4%
Waitematā 1,723 60.0% 1,930 51.7% 53,671 62.6% 57,324 62.1%
West Coast 188 63.3% 12 66.7% 4,320 64.9% 4,520 64.8%
Whanganui 1,023 67.7% 80 70.2% 8,925 72.8% 10,028 72.2%
Overseas / Unknown 91 70.0% 54 85.7% 886 84.4% 1,031 82.9%
Total 31,580 60.3% 15,570 57.0% 491,560 67.0% 538,710 66.2%

HSU 20/21 FY used as denominator for uptake statistics.


Vaccination uptake: age 55 to 64

  Māori Māori % Pacific Pacific % NMNP NMNP % Total Total %
Auckland 1,096 32.4% 1,993 35.1% 13,552 29.8% 16,641 30.5%
Bay of Plenty 1,779 29.0% 124 33.8% 7,376 27.6% 9,279 28.0%
Canterbury 1,454 36.2% 398 32.1% 22,007 33.2% 23,859 33.3%
Capital and Coast 1,123 38.1% 812 36.5% 11,553 37.3% 13,488 37.3%
Counties Manukau 2,020 29.3% 4,363 33.8% 10,704 24.6% 17,087 27.0%
Hawkes Bay 1,329 31.0% 165 33.8% 5,486 30.3% 6,980 30.5%
Hutt Valley 707 31.5% 410 36.3% 4,869 31.6% 5,986 31.9%
Lakes 1,031 25.9% 89 29.6% 2,303 22.5% 3,423 23.6%
MidCentral 902 30.5% 158 36.5% 5,295 26.4% 6,355 27.1%
Nelson Marlborough 561 38.2% 67 34.5% 5,798 26.5% 6,426 27.3%
Northland 2,016 27.2% 93 25.7% 4,281 20.9% 6,390 22.6%
South Canterbury 145 36.0% 18 35.3% 2,558 30.7% 2,721 30.9%
Southern 919 34.5% 172 35.3% 12,623 31.2% 13,714 31.4%
Tairāwhiti 759 28.0% 51 39.8% 934 26.4% 1,744 27.4%
Taranaki 599 30.4% 37 29.4% 3,644 25.7% 4,280 26.3%
Waikato 2,346 27.8% 361 32.6% 10,441 24.7% 13,148 25.4%
Wairarapa 278 34.7% 37 35.9% 1,581 25.1% 1,896 26.3%
Waitematā 1,307 28.7% 1,239 29.1% 16,182 25.1% 18,728 25.6%
West Coast 157 33.2% 7 35.0% 1,225 23.5% 1,389 24.4%
Whanganui 654 37.1% 58 36.0% 2,243 29.4% 2,955 31.0%
Overseas / Unknown 129 60.0% 77 72.0% 919 90.1% 1,125 83.8%
Total 21,311 30.6% 10,729 33.7% 145,574 28.4% 177,614 28.9%

HSU 20/21 FY used as denominator for uptake statistics.


Vaccination uptake over time: age 65+

Vaccination uptake over time, age 65+, all ethnic groups


Vaccinations per week by ethnicity for all age groups

Vaccinations per week, all ages, all ethnicities


Notes on report data

  1. Data is collected from National Immunisation Register and Covid19 immunisation Register and collated weekly.
  2. Around 8,000 immunisation records are held in CIR pending data review. These may be valid vaccinations that will feed through once resolved.
  3. Coverage statistics are based on HSU 20/21 FY.
  4. Data captured on paper or systems other than NIR/CIR are not included.
  5. Approximately 60% of the Flu vaccinations are entered into NIR and the remaining 40% are entered into CIR.
  6. There is a time lag from when vaccines are administered to when they are entered into NIR. Approximately 80% of Flu vaccinations are entered in the same calendar week they are administered. ~15% are entered the following week and the remaining 5% are entered over time. This will impact week on week comparison reporting
Back to top