Review of the funding model
The Ministry of Health plays a key role in developing the health and disability workforce by investing in training and development. Health Workforce funding supports:
- new graduate nurses, midwives, pharmacists and doctors to transition into the workforce in their first year of practice
- postgraduate training of nurses, midwives and a range of allied health and scientific workers such as anaesthetic technicians, sonographers and medical physicists
- training of the kaiāwhina workforce
- Māori and Pacific workforces
- vocational training for doctors including general practice trainees.
In 2020 we started a process to review our funding model. We wanted to ensure that we have a sustainable model, aligned to Government and strategic workforce priorities, as well as addressing workforce vulnerabilities.
The first phase of the review was to undertake a current assessment of our funding. This is now complete and available below.
Health Workforce will now continue to build on this current state report, and ensure we can optimise current funding as much as possible.