The HPI identifies health practitioners, health provider organisations and facilities (the physical address where the health care takes place) in three separate indexes.
Note: The Health Provider Index was previously known as the "Health Practitioner Index" and work is in progress to update the HISO standard to reflect the new naming convention.
The HPI comprises three separate indexes for which the identifiers are :
- CPN (Common Person Number) - issued to Practitioners (people) who provide health services
- HPI ORG ID – issued to Organisations that provide health services.
- HPI FAC ID – issued to named facilities (locations) at which an Organisation provides health services.
The format for each of the identifiers is :
- CPN - NNXXXX where N is numeric and X is Alphabetic
- HPI ORG ID - GXXNNN-C where X is alphanumeric, N is numeric and C is a check character
- HPI FAC ID - FXXNNN-C where X is alphanumeric, N is numeric and C is a check character
CPNs are issued on receipt of health practitioner data supplied to the HPI by the Responsible Authorities who have signed a Data Provision Agreement.
The Responsible Authorities currently supplying data are:
- Chiropractic Board | Te Poari Kaikorohiti o Aotearoa
- Dental Council | Te Kaunihera Tiaki Niho
- Dietitians Board | Te Mana Mātanga Mātai Kai
- Medical Council of New Zealand | Te Kaunihera Rata o Aotearoa
- Medical Radiation Technologists Board | Te Poari Ringa Hangarua Iraruke
- Medical Sciences Council of New Zealand | Te Kaunihera Pūtaiao Hauora o Aotearoa
- Midwifery Council | Te Tatau o te Whare Kahu
- Nursing Council of New Zealand | Te Kaunihera Tapuhi o Aotearoa
- Occupational Therapy Board | Te Poari Whakaora Ngangahau o Aotearoa
- Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Board | Te Poari a ngā Kaimātai Whatu me ngā Kaiwhakarato Mōhiti
- Osteopathic Council | Te Kaunihera Whakanao kōiwi Uau
- Paramedic Council | Te Kaunihera Manapou
- Pharmacy Council | Te Pou Whakamana Kaimatū o Aotearoa
- Physiotherapy Board | Te Poari Tiaki Tinana o Aotearoa
- Podiatrists Board | Te Poari Tiaki Waewae o Aotearoa
- Psychologists Board | Te Poari Kaimātai Hinengaro o Aotearoa
- Psychotherapists Board | Te Poari o nga Kaihaumanu Hinengaro o Aotearoa.
HPI Org Ids are issued (on request) to organisations that provide Health Services.
HPI Facility Ids are issued (on request) for named locations at which an Organisation provides Health Services.
Requests for or queries about Practitioners, Organisations, Facilities and their identifiers should be sent to [email protected].