The HPI identifies health practitioners, health provider organisations and facilities (the physical address where the health care takes place) in three separate indexes.
Note: The Health Provider Index was previously known as the "Health Practitioner Index" and work is in progress to update the HISO standard to reflect the new naming convention.
The HPI comprises three separate indexes for which the identifiers are :
- CPN (Common Person Number) - issued to Practitioners (people) who provide health services
- HPI ORG ID – issued to Organisations that provide health services.
- HPI FAC ID – issued to named facilities (locations) at which an Organisation provides health services.
The format for each of the identifiers is :
- CPN - NNXXXX where N is numeric and X is Alphabetic
- HPI ORG ID - GXXNNN-C where X is alphanumeric, N is numeric and C is a check character
- HPI FAC ID - FXXNNN-C where X is alphanumeric, N is numeric and C is a check character
CPNs are issued on receipt of health practitioner data supplied to the HPI by the Responsible Authorities who have signed a Data Provision Agreement.
The Responsible Authorities currently supplying data are:
- Medical Council of New Zealand
- Pharmacy Council of New Zealand
- Dental Council of New Zealand
- Midwifery Council
- Nursing Council of New Zealand
- Occupational Therapy Board of New Zealand
- Physiotherapists Board
- Medical Sciences Council – Medical Radiation Technologists and Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Psychologist Board for New Zealand
HPI Org Ids are issued (on request) to organisations that provide Health Services.
HPI Facility Ids are issued (on request) for named locations at which an Organisation provides Health Services.
Requests for or queries about Practitioners, Organisations, Facilities and their identifiers should be sent to [email protected].