Data and statistics about the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines in New Zealand.
Data in this section is as at 11:59pm 24 January 2023 and is updated weekly on Wednesdays between 1pm and 1.30pm.
On this page:
- COVID-19 vaccinations summary
- Total vaccinations
- Booster breakdowns
- Vaccine uptake percentage by age band
- Vaccine uptake percentage by District of residence 12+
- Vaccinations by day
- Details of vaccination data
- Adverse events from immunisations
Work is currently underway for mapping DHB to District. In the interim until this is complete each instance of "DHB" on this webpage has been replaced with "District".
Metrics on this page can use one of two views of the data. An operational view or a person view. There are two main differences between the views which result in slightly different totals.
- Occasionally doses that are recorded as first doses in CIR are actually a person's second doses. This means they will appear as dose 1 in the operational view but will appear as completed primary course in the person view (this is a data entry issue only and does not impact the dose that the person received).
- Those who have been vaccinated overseas will only appear in the person view, they will not appear in the operational view.
In short, the operational view shows how doses administered in New Zealand were recorded in CIR. The person view shows the vaccination status of people regardless of how that was recorded or whether it was in New Zealand.
|Vaccinations last week||Cumulative total|
|Paediatric First Dose||113||269,716|
|Paediatric Second Dose||160||155,409|
This table is an operational view.
- Cumulative total: All vaccinations that have been administered and entered into the COVID-19 Immunisation Register up until midnight of the night before the data is published.
- Vaccinated or booked: Count of individuals who have either received their vaccination or have booked via Book My Vaccine to receive a vaccination.
HSU population estimates are available in the downloadable spreadsheet at the bottom of the page. Throughout the rest of this sheet doses per 1,000 are based on eligible (12+) population.
Bookings are only counted if the site is using Book My Vaccine. Bookings made through other Patient Management Systems are not counted.
Booster counts by ethnicity
|Ethnicity||Booster 1 (16-17)||Booster 1 (18+)||Booster 2 (50+)|
This table is a person view.
Booster 2 uptake by age group
|12 to 17||-||50||-|
|18 to 34||-||12,565||-|
|35 to 49||-||36,636||-|
|50 to 64||724,740||216,776||29.9%|
This table is a person view.
Ethnicity breakdown by District of residence is available in the downloadable spreadsheet at the bottom of the page.
*Note, this figure does not include 5-11 year olds
This chart shows the count of vaccinations administered on a given day from the COVID-19 Immunisation Register. Note some records are entered in the register at a later date than the immunisation was received. This means that the figures for a given date may move for some time after that date.
Download a spreadsheet containing key vaccination data. This includes HSU based population estimates for calculating vaccine uptake rates.
This spreadsheet is based on the information made available at the time of publishing and may be subject to changes. Please take note of any notes and caveats on each sheet.
Like all medicines, the COVID-19 vaccine may cause side effects in some people. These are common, are usually mild, don’t last long and won’t stop people from having the second dose or going about daily life. Serious allergic reactions do occur but are extremely rare.
Suspected AEFI to COVID-19 vaccines are reported to the Centre for Adverse Reactions Monitoring (CARM). Medsafe is closely monitoring the AEFI reported from the use of the COVID-19 vaccine and will report regularly on their findings.