- Services and support
- Health care services
- Disability services
- Am I eligible?
- Needs Assessment Services Coordination
- Equipment and Modification Services
- Hearing and Vision Services
- Behaviour Support
- Child Development
- Community Day Services
- Community Residential Support
- Home and Community Support
- Respite and carer support
- Supported Living
- Disability Information Advisory Services
- Video stories
- Contact us
- Where to go for help
Equipment and Modification Services
Do you have difficulty doing everyday activities? If you or someone in your family has a physical, intellectual, sensory (vision or hearing) or age-related disability, you may be able to get some equipment or modifications to your home or vehicle to assist you.
To qualify for help:
Please note: if you have already paid for any equipment or modifications yourself, you generally cannot claim the cost back.your disability must be likely to continue for at least six months
- you must be unable to do some everyday activities safely on your own
- you must not be covered by ACC
- you must live in New Zealand and be a New Zealand resident or be from another country that has a funding agreement with New Zealand.
The equipment or modifications must be essential to help you to manage and/or access your everyday activities.
The help you can get will depend on your own needs and situation. Sometimes equipment or modifications may not be the best or only option for you.
In this section
- Information on getting support equipment such as wheelchairs, shower stools, walking frames and sticks, mobility canes, communication devices (for speaking and/or writing) and hearing equipment such as visual or vibrating smoke alarms. Read more
- Information on housing modifications that may be funded by the Ministry of Health, such as installation of handrails, ramps or level access showers and widening of doors. Read more
- Information on accessing funding for vehicle modifications such as a wheelchair carrier, van hoist or hand controls. Read more
- Find out how to access equipment and/or funding for modifications that will help you live more safely and independently. Read more
- Information for disabled people on equipment that might be useful and where they can buy it. Read more
- Equipment and Modifications – English version (pdf, 151 KB)
- Equipment and Modifications – Cook Island Māori version (doc, 482 KB)
- Equipment and Modifications – Cook Island Māori version (pdf, 475 KB)
- Equipment and Modifications – Samoan version (pdf, 426 KB)
- Equipment and Modifications – Tongan version (doc, 525 KB)
- Equipment and Modifications – Tongan version (pdf, 433 KB)