Health care for transgender New Zealanders

Social stigmatisation and discrimination, including within the health care system, is a barrier to accessing health services and contributes to adverse outcomes. Transgender people have the right to respectful health care.

General health care needs are best supported in primary care.

Services providing gender-affirming health care vary across the country and may be found in primary care, youth one-stop-shop services, sexual health and other district health board services.

Hormone therapy

Hormone therapy creates a hormone balance more like that of your affirmed gender, and affects the appearance of secondary sex characteristics like fat distribution.

Service providers who can help access hormone therapy include:

  • primary health care teams
  • sexual health services
  • youth health services
  • endocrinologists.

Note that prescribing of some medications such as cyproterone and testosterone is restricted in New Zealand, and requires specialist sign off.

The process of starting hormonal therapy includes assessing readiness, from a medical and psychosocial perspective, to begin. More visits may be required for people with complex physical or mental health issues. Information needs to be provided to support an informed consent approach.

Some hormone therapy may produce irreducible changes that you’ll need to consider, such as to your fertility. You may want to investigate fertility preservation (like freezing sperm or eggs) before you start hormones.

Voice therapy

Voice therapy can help you train your voice to achieve a more gender neutral pitch and communication style.

Gender-affirming surgeries

Subject to DHB criteria, you may be able to receive surgery to remove your uterus, ovaries and testicles or to have breast augmentation or chest reconstruction. An assessment of your readiness for surgery may be required before you can be referred for a consultation with a surgeon.

For information on lower genital surgery, go to Gender reassignment surgery.

Mental health

Counselling and mental health services

Seeking help with a counsellor or mental health professional is a key part of managing any distress.

The experiences of stigma and discrimination can stop people from reaching out and accessing support. It is important to know that some of the uncomfortable experiences of social and medical transition are temporary – and that health professionals are available to help when you face these barriers.

If you want to know more about mental health providers, you can contact one of the following services, or check with your GP or primary care provider for a referral.

Support networks

Medical and social transition encompasses many changes in our values, relationships and life choices. Finding an understanding person to share the experience with can help to get through some of the doubts, concerns and worries.

It is common to feel isolated, to feel like you are the only person who has had to face barriers or concerns. But often there are many networks and people in our everyday community who are more than willing to introduce or link others to peer support networks.

Check out the Resources page for support networks outside of the medical and mental health sector.

If you need urgent help

If there is any concern for the safety of a person or yourself, seek help and guidance from mental health services.

Find out more from the Ministry

Back to top